Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #1

Leak? Condensation? Help; anyone.

Hello,
I have a new Wildwood 408 REDS. The past 2 weeks there has been a constant wet spot on the carpet between the bed and the closet. Roughly 1 foot deep and 3 foot wide. The electric hot water heater is behind a wall panel left of the closets sliding glass door. I take off the panel and there is no wet spot in the carpet anywhere in the area of the hot water heater and there is no water or moisture in the hot water heater tray. There is a (fresh water) ( ?? ) tank directly below the "leak". I have city water and when I open the drain under the trailer for this translucent white tank, no water comes out. Can't figure it. I have 2 toddlers sleeping in this room and fear mold spores being an issue soon.
The silly 5 year "service" thang may prove usefull if I pay someone $$$ to tow this beast 2 hours to the nearest dealer ( this is a stationary unit I use for temp housing for the 6-8 weeks I am in the field) but I guess I have to pay first and then hope for a refund (my bad for falling for this "warranty". Should have known better than to trust a salesman; even one of Warren Buffet's employees).
I'll have to take care of this myself (with y'alls help; hopefully).
Anyone have an idea on where to start?
Thanks
KDC
kdc1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #2

So if your on city water and have not put any water in the tank, then it should be empty. The city water system is seperated from the tank system. I would suspect a leak in the city water system.

Try filling the tank and running off that ( you will need to have the pump on) for a little while. See if you still have that wet spot.
If the pump keeps running even when you are not using any water, you will know that you have a leak in a shared component and I would suspect the water heater or lines to the water heater are leaking.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdc1899 View Post
Hello,
I have a new Wildwood 408 REDS. The past 2 weeks there has been a constant wet spot on the carpet between the bed and the closet. Roughly 1 foot deep and 3 foot wide. The electric hot water heater is behind a wall panel left of the closets sliding glass door. I take off the panel and there is no wet spot in the carpet anywhere in the area of the hot water heater and there is no water or moisture in the hot water heater tray. There is a (fresh water) ( ?? ) tank directly below the "leak". I have city water and when I open the drain under the trailer for this translucent white tank, no water comes out. Can't figure it. I have 2 toddlers sleeping in this room and fear mold spores being an issue soon.
The silly 5 year "service" thang may prove usefull if I pay someone $$$ to tow this beast 2 hours to the nearest dealer ( this is a stationary unit I use for temp housing for the 6-8 weeks I am in the field) but I guess I have to pay first and then hope for a refund (my bad for falling for this "warranty". Should have known better than to trust a salesman; even one of Warren Buffet's employees).
I'll have to take care of this myself (with y'alls help; hopefully).
Anyone have an idea on where to start?
Thanks
KDC
I can see three sources, the city water connection just inside the wall will have a pipe connection from the brass inlet fitting to pex piping. That can be dripping in the thread or tube fitting. The slide could be leaking and allowing water to flow down the wall or the front cap seam can be leaking in the corner with the same result. Be a good idea to have repaired ASAP, the water soaked wood is very unforgiving- roof, wall and floor. For certain it most likely is not condensation
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #4

What is above the spot? Any possibility it is related to air conditioning?
Old 04-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #5

thanks, all. There is nothing above the wet spot. The empty tank below the wet spot is making it hard to see if the bottom of the trailer floor is wet. I will try filling the tank up with the city water and using that as my (cold water I guess). Will the hot water heater still be drawing water ( from the tank; instead) ?
kdc1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:15 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Yes your hot water heater will draw from fresh water tank.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote