Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #1
Georgia travelor

Leaking Storage Compartment Door

I have a 2010 Forest River Eco-Lite Edition Model 293. Every time there is a heavy rain water enters the front (only) storage compartment around the door apparently. I have tried replacing the door gasket, and even carefully caulking around the outer edge of the door gasket. The only thing that has stopped the water intrusion is taping across the top of the door hinged area and partly down the sides of the door during winter storage. The tape actually worked but is useless during the camping months and is hard on the finish. I place paper towels along the inside edge of the compartment to trap the rain water and that contains it but it is not solving the problem. I am attaching a general shot of the offending door for what that's worth. The door on the other side does not leak. Go figure. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer storage.jpg
Views:	2633
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	113359  
Old 07-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #2

You have identified the problem how to fix is the next question. Short of replacing the door unit is there a way you could glue a thin rubber flap over the hinges, or maybe flexible caulk on the inside of the hinge>\? I'm just brain storming here.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
Georgia travelor

Leaking Storage

I have actually thought about some sort of flap but can't figure out a practical way to accomplish it. This is my only outside storage so I don't want to make it any harder to access than necessary. Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia travelor View Post
I have actually thought about some sort of flap but can't figure out a practical way to accomplish it. This is my only outside storage so I don't want to make it any harder to access than necessary. Thanks for the thoughts.
Do you have any rubber gasket there at all? I don't see it in the pic. There should be a rubber gasket around the entire frame that the door seals against.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:26 PM   #5

Also is the door warped?

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #6
Don't Camp Enough

I had this problem once.
Remove the hatch completely and clean all of the surfaces. I would also inspect the walls to see any possible water damage. Caulk the hatch and fill screw holes before reinstalling. If hatch isn't warped and your door seal is good you should be Ok
Good luck!!

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #7
Georgia travelor

Leaking Storage

I have replaced the original black gasket with some white gasket material I got from a local RV dealer. The door is not warped. That was my first thought. Wished it was that simple. I really thought the gasket replacement would fix the problem. So much for best laid plans.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #8
Georgia travelor

Haven't tried completely removing door, frame and all, yet. I am going to be camping at McKinney COE park on Lake Allatoona starting next week and will have tons of time to try that. Already have the caulk in the trailer so why not try it? What's the worst that can happen? ;-)
Old 07-08-2016, 12:42 PM   #9

I had the same problem. The door hinge is a little loose and the original gasket wasn't thick enough to make a tight seal. I replaced it with a much thicker gasket that has three grooves. Sort of looks like a serpentine belt on a car engine. I have to put a bit of pressure on the door to get it to latch and lock but there have been no more leaks.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #10
Georgia travelor

Leaking Storage compartment

I have already replaced the gasket material with the type you are describing and fully expected it to work. I was VERY surprised when it had no impact. I am going to try taking the entire assembly off next week and resealing the frame and all. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #11

I actually got in the basement in order to see the exact source of the leak. Make sure everything is completely dry. Get in the basement with a flashlight and have someone latch the door. (If it is your wife locking you in make sure she is not mad at you for anything before having the door latched) Then have them shower the side of the trailer with the garden hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #12
Georgia travelor

Leaking storage

My storage ain't that tall. Not sure this old fat man can fit in there and still twist enough to see anything. Just a tad claustrophobic, too. Good way to see what is happening. May send a grandson in my place. Thanks for the suggestion.
Georgia travelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:44 PM   #13

On our CC-5er there was a small amount of water inside on the side storage door..Finally found the problem....Do you have two 1" square spacers on the bottom with a screw holding it in place? If yes remove and put some putty underneath and put screw back in place.. Cap action of water was going under and down the sheet metal screw....
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:50 PM   #14

If the hatch mounting screws are outside of the seal on the bottom the water will run down along the seal and pool on the hatch frame and leak through the screw holes into the compartment. Had that problem before and fixed it by caulking the screws over. Not sure why they put the screws outside the seal but they did and I fixed it with a little bit of silicone.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:19 AM   #15

We always keep ours locked,,, they do not seat well unless they are locked !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:23 AM   #16

If you are going to remove & replace the door frame,,, you may want to use putty instead of caulk on the door frame !!! If you use caulk,,, you may not ever be able to remove it again !!!
Old 07-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #17
Georgia travelor

Leaking storage

Haven't noticed where screws are located in relation to the gasket but it makes sense they would let water in if not protected. Won't be back to the trailer until tomorrow afternoon so will check that out. Also appreciate the reminder about putty instead of caulk. That is why I love this forum. Thanks everyone!!
Georgia travelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #18
ARLO

My front window kept leaking so I went to Home Depot and got a piece of siding J channel cut it to length and stuck it over the window leak leak stopped. I got lucky because J channel perfectly matched the color of the trailer.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:58 PM   #19
Tiltin Hilton

Repairing door leak

You may have the problem I had. The door when closed has a frame with the panel inside at the bottom. Rain or A/C condensation would run down to the bottom of door, then seep inside and puddle up. To check this, open the door and secure with the clip. Watch for drips now leaking down to the top of door. If this is your issue, a small bead of clear sealant to the exterior part of the door.
drmoparPHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:19 AM   #20

How about putting DW in the compartment,,, close and lock the door,,, then shine around the door with a flash light,,, then if and when you let her out,,, she can show you where she saw light !!!

Tags
door, leak, storage