Old 07-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #1
Georgia travelor

Leaking Storage Compartment Door

I have a 2010 Forest River Eco-Lite Edition Model 293. Every time there is a heavy rain water enters the front (only) storage compartment around the door apparently. I have tried replacing the door gasket, and even carefully caulking around the outer edge of the door gasket. The only thing that has stopped the water intrusion is taping across the top of the door hinged area and partly down the sides of the door during winter storage. The tape actually worked but is useless during the camping months and is hard on the finish. I place paper towels along the inside edge of the compartment to trap the rain water and that contains it but it is not solving the problem. I am attaching a general shot of the offending door for what that's worth. The door on the other side does not leak. Go figure. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer storage.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	113359  

Old 07-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #2

You have identified the problem how to fix is the next question. Short of replacing the door unit is there a way you could glue a thin rubber flap over the hinges, or maybe flexible caulk on the inside of the hinge>\? I'm just brain storming here.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
Georgia travelor

Leaking Storage

I have actually thought about some sort of flap but can't figure out a practical way to accomplish it. This is my only outside storage so I don't want to make it any harder to access than necessary. Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia travelor View Post
I have actually thought about some sort of flap but can't figure out a practical way to accomplish it. This is my only outside storage so I don't want to make it any harder to access than necessary. Thanks for the thoughts.
Do you have any rubber gasket there at all? I don't see it in the pic. There should be a rubber gasket around the entire frame that the door seals against.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:26 PM   #5

Also is the door warped?
Old 07-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #6
Don't Camp Enough

I had this problem once.
Remove the hatch completely and clean all of the surfaces. I would also inspect the walls to see any possible water damage. Caulk the hatch and fill screw holes before reinstalling. If hatch isn't warped and your door seal is good you should be Ok
Good luck!!

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #7
Georgia travelor

Leaking Storage

I have replaced the original black gasket with some white gasket material I got from a local RV dealer. The door is not warped. That was my first thought. Wished it was that simple. I really thought the gasket replacement would fix the problem. So much for best laid plans.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #8
Georgia travelor

Haven't tried completely removing door, frame and all, yet. I am going to be camping at McKinney COE park on Lake Allatoona starting next week and will have tons of time to try that. Already have the caulk in the trailer so why not try it? What's the worst that can happen? ;-)
Old 07-08-2016, 12:42 PM   #9

I had the same problem. The door hinge is a little loose and the original gasket wasn't thick enough to make a tight seal. I replaced it with a much thicker gasket that has three grooves. Sort of looks like a serpentine belt on a car engine. I have to put a bit of pressure on the door to get it to latch and lock but there have been no more leaks.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #10
Georgia travelor

Leaking Storage compartment

I have already replaced the gasket material with the type you are describing and fully expected it to work. I was VERY surprised when it had no impact. I am going to try taking the entire assembly off next week and resealing the frame and all. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tags
door, leak, storage