Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2015, 01:03 PM   #1

Leaking Sunroof and TV Question

We have a new 2016 Surveyor (first TT ever) that we used twice this fall before winterization with no major problems. This week we had a ton of rain so I went to the storage location to check on the camper to be sure it was good and dry inside. I did notice about 3 or 4 tablespoons of water in the shower basin and did see some wetness around the lower edge of the sun roof over the shower. I went on top of the unit to look at the caulk. The caulk looked good, but I did notice a 2-3 inch crack in the sunlight dome that I suspect is the cause of the leak. It is still under warranty, but I would rather not take it back to the dealer for this repair if I can make a temporary repair myself and then take it back next fall before the warranty runs out (we did purchase the extra one year warrant from FR). Any suggestions on a temporary repair? I'm wondering if gorilla tape would be enough to keep the water out until we get it repaired later next fall or is this too risky or should I go ahead and take it in for the repair this winter? I'm also wondering if it would be better to just repair the cracked cover (if possible) instead of replacing it since removing and replacing it will require them to remove all of the caulk and reseal the new unit which if not done properly could cause problems as well.

Another question: How to remove the TV from the wall bracket? There is a black canvas cord behind it that you are suppose to pull down on. I must have pulled it down too hard and it unattached from the back of the TV and I cannot get it back on due to space limitations. Is there another way to get the TV off since I want to make some modifications to get the TV to play on the speakers in the camper. I seemed to have tried everything with no luck.

Thanks
sowbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:34 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

A sunroof replacement is not that big of an ordeal. Just takes a little time and patience is you're doing it yourself. I would take it Ina be let the warranty take care of it. In the mean time, I would use a piece of Eternabond tape to cover the crack and seal it up. It does wonders!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 03:10 PM   #3

Excellent idea about Eternabond for temp fix.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #4

Thanks for the Eternabond idea! .... looks like a great product. I may have to order it from the internet because it doesn't seem that Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, or Camping World keeps it in their local stores.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:48 PM   #5

Don't use Etarnabond. Use Awning repair tape. It will be clear and that stuff really sticks.

Bruce
Old 12-27-2015, 07:05 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Don't use Etarnabond. Use Awning repair tape. It will be clear and that stuff really sticks.

Bruce

It may stick well, but won't have the near the protection. It's my understanding that this is a temporary fix until the OP gets the skylight replaced, so doesn't matter what it really looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #7

I had the same problem with my Surveyor 2013. Dealer replaced the cracked one, a short time later they called me, they found out the sealant that was used to seal them is what was causing the covers to crack and they replaced the brand new one again, no cracks in that one. No problem with it since. K
Ken Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #8

What great information. Maybe one of these days I will be able to help others.

Thanks so much to everyone.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #9

Skylight

I would carry and have fixed or atleast let FR know what was going on I just ordered 2 tubes of SB140 to use on replacement of my skylight I stepped thru outer and enter waiting on parts from factory now but it pretty easy to replace look on Rv skylight replacement on you tube
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:58 PM   #10

Removing TV from the wall is relatively easy. If yours is held to the wall like ours. Just hold it by the sides and pull up.
The bracket behind ours in the bed room had a bracket that was shaped like a V on the wall and the one on the TV was like an inverted V. So they slide into each other and hold the appliance securely to the wall.
Took me a bit of playing around but finally figured it out.

Brandon2
2014 Sunseeker TS
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:37 PM   #11

For follow-up, I had the dealer replace the skylight under warranty and everything seems good. The only downside was that it took 5 weeks from drop off until it was repaired. Thankfully, I had it done over the winter before camping season.

Tags
leak, roo, roof