Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #1

Leaving trailer on A/C power long term

So, I finally got my trailer home last weekend; but now I have a question for the collective wisdom here. What do you guys do with your trailer when you plan on plugging it in for an extended period of time? Due to wild temperature swings during Calgary winters (it will often go from below 0 F to above 50 F; then back down again- within 24 hours) I wanted to leave it plugged in. I was going to use a light bulb to maintain a small amount of heat, as well I want to use those ultrasonic pest chasers to help keep the mice away.

I think my options are pretty much:
- Leave it plugged in with something always drawing power; a couple of lights and the antenna booster was what I was told by the dealer.
- disconnect the battery and only run on A/C power
- put in a cheap or almost dead car battery where the deep cycle battery goes as a ballast.
- simply run an extension cord to the devices I need.

My issue with the last option is that to make that work I will actually be creating an opening for mice to crawl into- which defeats the whole purpose.

I'm sure I'm not the only Canadian or northern American who has run into this dilema; so I am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #2

I take the battery out and bring it inside the house garage to keep it from freezing. I see no need to have a battery in it at all, and if you need power inside, just leave it plugged in. You shouldn't need anything always draining power or any other source of heat inside either. As long as you winterize the water lines and drain traps, you should be good.

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #3

^^ just to clarify about wanting some heat in the trailer; it's mostly to keep the condensation at bay as opposed to preventing freezing. Yes, the water lines are already winterized; I had the dealer do that for me as compensation for the delivery delay.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #4

I have mine pluged in all the time, i put a small heater in and have it set to around 45. I also have two dryzair placed to take any condensation out. I dont remove the batteries, but when I take it out I always check them.. I camp year round here

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #5

I've had my unit plugged in when at home for 3 years now, and haven't had any problems with the batteries. I have 2 deep cycle bats, and I check the water in them once a month. The power converter in my camper is a 3 stage, and it keeps them charged very well. We don't however get a whole lot of freezing weather here in Florida, and we camp year round, also. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #6
Site Team

I leave ours plugged in all the time. I also leave the furnace on about 45ºF so it'll run when it gets cold enough. I've been doing that since it was fresh off the dealers lot and haven't had a problem.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

We do as about 98 or so percent of people do in this part of the world and set the trailer up for cold storage. They have vents to prevent condensation build up so I would not worry about it personally. I have been in a couple storage yards on the east side of Calgary and no one has their RV's powered over the winter. The only thing I am actually worrried about is the lino flooring splitting the first year but that is covered under warranty. It happens around here due to the extreme cold not condensation, I even talked to the FR factory rep prior to our purchase as our old TT the flooring all buckled but our neighbors split. The rep said it is normal but doesn't happen to a large quantity but it does just the 1st year for some reason. As for rodents I live on an acerage and have Koender bait stations all around the house and out buildings and they work well, just have to do a check once every couple weeks in the fall for dead mice but that is part of rural life.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #8

I appreciate all the responses everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
The power converter in my camper is a 3 stage, and it keeps them charged very well.
Is there an easy way to tell what kind of power converter my trailer has? Obviously the easiest thing for me would be to just leave it plugged in, but I'd hate to kill the battery because I had a lesser power converter.

I'm just concerned that with mine being a more "entry level" trailer; it may also have an entry level power converter.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:17 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I appreciate all the responses everybody!

Is there an easy way to tell what kind of power converter my trailer has? Obviously the easiest thing for me would be to just leave it plugged in, but I'd hate to kill the battery because I had a lesser power converter.

I'm just concerned that with mine being a more "entry level" trailer; it may also have an entry level power converter.
Get the make and model number off of the converter, and do a search on the web, or post here.....many knowledgeable members may know the answer.

There should be a door that drops down with the information on a tag behind that.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #10

Looks like the model is WF8955PEC. I googled it and found this site: WFCO WF8955PEC WF-8955-PEC WF-8955PEC Brown 55 Amp RV Trailer Power Center Converter Charger Camper Trailer RV

So it says 3 stage- which means I'm good right? Basically it will only charge the battery as it needs it like the "intelligent charger" that my dealer was trying to sell me?

I suppose the next question; would the battery be happier being on the trailer in -10 F temperatures, or should it be moved into the "cozy" 30-35 degree garage?

Old 11-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #11

We have a Toy Hauler we have been using for over 9 years as an office for my wood shop. It has been plugged in the whole time.. NO battery, The refer has also been on that long too. The AC is used all summer and the heater is used all winter........ Don't have water going to it. It has been great as an office. But we did just buy a new Rockwood Roo 23ss and it is unplugged, battery in garage and fully winterized. Tom
gwizpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Looks like the model is WF8955PEC. I googled it and found this site: WFCO WF8955PEC WF-8955-PEC WF-8955PEC Brown 55 Amp RV Trailer Power Center Converter Charger Camper Trailer RV

So it says 3 stage- which means I'm good right? Basically it will only charge the battery as it needs it like the "intelligent charger" that my dealer was trying to sell me?

I suppose the next question; would the battery be happier being on the trailer in -10 F temperatures, or should it be moved into the "cozy" 30-35 degree garage?
A 3 stage charger is good. If you do decide to leave your trailer plugged in, just check the battery level every now and then to be sure. I leave mine plugged in most of the time. I unplug every now and then to let the batteries run down some before plugging it back in to charge them back.....don't know if that helps the batteries or not.

A charged battery should not freeze. It got down to below zero several times last year with no battery problems. An uncharged battery will freeze, so just make sure those puppies keep a good charge.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote