Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #1

Led stop and side marker replacements

We just ordered a new Rockwood 8328BS and we're told that the brake and marker lights are not LED...
Has anyone changed these out to LED?
If so what brand?
Thanks
bbk-rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:09 PM   #2

I changed all the exterior lights on my 2014 A-frame to LED to reduce battery draw while towing. Only the interior lights were LED on the 2014 model. My fridge draws 13 amps on DC, and propane blows out while towing, so reducing the camper battery draw while towing is/was important. Otherwise, I would not have bothered changing them all to LED.

I started with the brake lights - the LED bulbs came from an auto parts store. I used white LEDs throughout in the fixtures. I have since read to buy the LED color to match the lens - I think the difference is still having the correct color even if the lens gets broken. I did not get super-bright LEDs - I wanted to match the brightness I already had, and not blind drivers behind me.

Next, I replaced the porch and tongue bulbs with LEDs. I did not want to increase the brightness of the amber porch light, but the tongue light could be brighter for night setups. So I put a super bright in the tongue light.

There are 11 marker light bulbs, and Walmart and the auto parts were too expensive for 11 LED bulbs. So I ordered from Amazon. I was able to get 20 LED replacements for $13 that had decent reviews.

A gotcha on the marker lights: on my camper, the marker light bulbs have to be very short to fit in the socket, and have the lens fit over. All but a few of the Amazon LED offerings were too tall, as were most of the Walmart LEDs.

I finally found an Amazon listing I liked for marker light replacements for less than $15, ordered, and changed them out. I don't remember the brand on any. I'm a happy camper.

I recommend you pull one of each type of bulb before you buy LEDs to make sure the LED will fit. I kept the incandescent bulbs because they fit my minivan, and there is no reason to convert the minivan.

Another note that I did not experience. Some vehicle flashers don't work well with LEDs on the turn signals/brake lights. The flasher assumes something is wrong with the very low current draw of the LEDs. Some LED replacements come with resistors to raise the current so the flasher will work. I can't see the point of raising the current draw of the LED - the low current was why I wanted them in the 1st place.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #3

Great info
Thanks
bbk-rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:54 AM   #4

https://www.superbrightleds.com/
Cajun Style is offline   Reply With Quote