Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2019, 03:41 PM   #1

Legit or phoey

Just got off the phone with Coachmen service. My issue is that on my Freedom Express 248RBS that the furnace vent in the bedroom blows at greatly reduced volume plus, more importantly, at a GREATLY reduced temperature. I took a video showing the differences in both. I was provided with “information” that the bedroom is only a 2 inch duct instead of 4 inch on the other 3 vents (2 in living area & 1 in bathroom) and possibly has a longer than normal length of duct. Now I can understand lower volume for the duct dimension difference but a huge temperature difference for maybe 15 feet of duct. It was explained that it could be possible since the bedroom is ducted in the covered underbelly. Well my video shows that there is 30+ degree difference between them. 105+ degree in the back half and 76 +/- degrees in the bedroom on a day in the high 70’s outside. Should I be growing mushrooms or does this sound legit.
simiHal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #2
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Sounds like a partially (or completely) disconnected duct. Only way to find out is to either visually inspect it along its length, or use a boroscope type camera. You should not be experiencing that kind of temperature loss. If you are, then try to insulate the duct. Some rigs even have a slider type baffle where the duct leaves the heater. Check if it can be opened a bit for better air flow.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie1138 View Post
Sounds like a partially (or completely) disconnected duct. Only way to find out is to either visually inspect it along its length, or use a boroscope type camera. You should not be experiencing that kind of temperature loss. If you are, then try to insulate the duct. Some rigs even have a slider type baffle where the duct leaves the heater. Check if it can be opened a bit for better air flow.

Thanks. My thoughts completely. It goes in for a few other additional minor things to be fixed in a couple of weeks. At that time they’ll have to remove the underbelly coroplast to inspect it. I’ll let them do that since it’ll need to be resealed underneath. Once it’s out of warranty then I’ll likely replace that section of duct with 4 inch insulated duct to match the rest.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:40 PM   #4
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Good luck. Let us know what you find out!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:56 PM   #5

Will do. Thanks
Old 04-18-2019, 10:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by simiHal View Post
Thanks. My thoughts completely. It goes in for a few other additional minor things to be fixed in a couple of weeks. At that time they’ll have to remove the underbelly coroplast to inspect it. I’ll let them do that since it’ll need to be resealed underneath. Once it’s out of warranty then I’ll likely replace that section of duct with 4 inch insulated duct to match the rest.
I don't know how to design RV duct sizing but I do know that in residential ducting the duct does in fact reduce in size at the end of a run to properly allow for equal pressurization of the system. There should be NO heat loss in the system. if is all the same size you would have the reverse of the problem you are having now. That is unless all the runs are from the furnace plenum then they can bee the same size, Unless they are going to a smaller size room.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:55 PM   #7

I was given the excuse that the 3 ducts where 4 inch because they were ducted in the cabinets very close to the furnace which is in the center of the trailer. The fourth is ducted in the underbelly. I would have thought it have been the opposite.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:29 PM   #8
Retired Old Fart

The one into my underbelly is the small one in my FE 246RKS. Others are all the same larger size.

I wonder if you also have a kink somewhere in that one line reducing the flow even more? Like others said a $25 inspection Endoscope from eBay on a smart phone is a great tool to have.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
The one into my underbelly is the small one in my FE 246RKS. Others are all the same larger size.

I wonder if you also have a kink somewhere in that one line reducing the flow even more? Like others said a $25 inspection Endoscope from eBay on a smart phone is a great tool to have.
Thanks for the reply. A kink would explain the big difference in air flow but not a 30 degree+ temperature difference. The duct is likely disconnected at some point and I’m just getting the escape flow into the underbelly through the vent.
Since it’s still under warranty I’ll let them deal with the headache of removing the underbelly coroplast & resealing it.