Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2019, 07:10 PM   #1

Levelers won’t work unless on shore power

My tongue jack works on batteries without being hooked up to shore power. My lights inside and leveling jacks do not work unless hooked to shore power. Batteries show fully charged and batteries are not turned off. Any ideas?
sadiemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #2

Do you have a battery disconnect switch? Either that or a breaker or fuse. Other than that they should work I would think.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #3

don't trust the junk meter in the unit on the wall. If not positive they are charged, charge them or have them load tested.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
Do you have a battery disconnect switch? Either that or a breaker or fuse. Other than that they should work I would think.
Yes have battery disconnect switch, it’s on. Not switched off
Old 10-06-2019, 10:19 PM   #5

Junk lights don’t work either if not on shore power. When on shore power, show fully charged. Have tested them and both fully charged
Old 10-06-2019, 11:24 PM   #6
Retired Old Fart

I know this can vary from trailer brand/model, but in mine the battery feeds to 2 breakers (self resetting in mine) at the tongue area. One feeds to the main DC panel (the breaker serves as a "main" to the panel from the battery), and the other feeds the slideout. The tongue jack has it's own fuse in line and pulls power from the battery directly via one of those terminals as well. If yours is similar check to see that the breaker is self resetting. Not all of them are. If it's not, there is a small button on one side of the breaker that you push to reset. Beyond that, it's time to break out a meter and start following wires iMO. Some of the newer models are putting the breakers inside the underbelly at the back of the front frame neat the tongue. Example from a 2020 build video:

Mine has a 50amp auto reset and my converter is a 55 amp converter. One time when the battery was very very low, when I plugged the trailer into shore power I could hear that self resetting DC breaker trip several times until the battery started to accept a charge (it was probably pulling the full 55 amps). It did that 3 or 4 times before it stopped. If your battery was low and your breaker/converter rating is similar that may be what tripped it. That "main" breaker is sized to protect the feed line, which in most trailers is 6ga. My breakers are visible on the outside of the frame at the tongue (near the battery).

Example of breaker with reset button on side.... It's the small black button on the left. Some are round, some are oval like this one. It may be hidden under a red cover on the terminals also.

Also you may want to look at this thread. There are some good photos of the locations of these breakers and more info (this is also where the photo above came from).

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...et-154141.html
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #7

levelers

I'm guessing inadequate amperage. Try running the engine or generator while using. If that works, you don't have enough battery to actuate the system or lift the heavy coach.
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #8

Thank you Dward 51, You fixed problem. There was a breaker box along frame in front of tongue and pin/button was popped out. I pushed in / reset and that corrected my issue. Pictures really helped. Thanks again!!!!
Old 10-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiemack View Post
Thank you Dward 51, You fixed problem. There was a breaker box along frame in front of tongue and pin/button was popped out. I pushed in / reset and that corrected my issue. Pictures really helped. Thanks again!!!!
Good for you!
Thanks for coming back and posting your good results.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power