Old 07-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #1

Leveling Your Rv?

We Would Like To Hear More Opinions On Leveling An Rv. Front To Back- Side To Side, Where Do You Put Your Levels? Some Say Use The Counter Tops, While Some Say Use The Neck And Bumper Of Trailer.?????

2008 SURVEYOR 303
surveyor254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #2

I bought those ceap stick on bubbles and then took it to the most level parking lot I could find and used a 5ft framing level and leveled the rig with it I used the floor in kitchen for front to back and then used the floor in hall and bathroom for side to side. Once I got that done. I placed the cheap bubble disignated for the side to side on the front door of the camper and the cheap level for the front to back on side right by the landing gear switch and stuck them on. There you have it when you go camping just watch the bubbles they will tell you in inches how far off you are side to side and front to back. Hope that is a help. Happy camping.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #3

Leveling

WE BRING A 2 FOOT LEVEL AND WE USE THE BACK BUMPER
FOR SIDE TO SIDE AND THE FLOOR INSIDE THE DOOR
FOR FRONT TO BACK. SEEMS TO WORK WELL.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0INF View Post
I bought those ceap stick on bubbles and then took it to the most level parking lot I could find and used a 5ft framing level and leveled the rig with it I used the floor in kitchen for front to back and then used the floor in hall and bathroom for side to side. Once I got that done. I placed the cheap bubble disignated for the side to side on the front door of the camper and the cheap level for the front to back on side right by the landing gear switch and stuck them on. There you have it when you go camping just watch the bubbles they will tell you in inches how far off you are side to side and front to back. Hope that is a help. Happy camping.

I did pretty much the same thing with mine for initial setup. I also carry a small 1 foot level with me "just to make sure" when we go out.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I have found that if you step back 20-30 feet from the trailer (both at the side and at either the front or the rear) you can eyeball the level closely enough that you won't have any problems. Try it, and then check it with your level. You might be surprised at how well you can do. However, levels do have their place - especially on the mini-lots you find at some campgrounds.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
Site Team

What he said!
You can put a jack under one side and get it level side to side
then just use your tongue jack to get it level front to back.
I used a 4 foot carpenters level inside on the floor.
Once I got it level, I also stuck on those cheap little bubbles.
They are great.
Put them on a front corner near the hitch area.

Peace!
KyDan
Old 07-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #7

As I am a land surveyor by profession, I like nothing more than to be exactly level. After I seem to get things level, how often should I check plumness. Also the trailer seems to need adjusting after some 'rocking'. I have Lynx Levelers on 2x12's and plastic wheel chocks, but they seem to not be against the tires after we've been there a while. Is the rocking of the trailer moving the chocks and throwing us off level? Will the 'in between the tire chocks' work better than the plastic ones?
2008 SURVEYOR 303
surveyor254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyor254 View Post
Also the trailer seems to need adjusting after some 'rocking'. I have Lynx Levelers on 2x12's and plastic wheel chocks, but they seem to not be against the tires after we've been there a while. Is the rocking of the trailer moving the chocks and throwing us off level?
I doubt it. It's just anoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyor254 View Post
Will the 'in between the tire chocks' work better than the plastic ones?
I use one in conjunction with the standard wheel chocks and that helps with the rocking.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:09 PM   #9

Bal or Roto-Choks are great and they work effectively when you have your wheels up on leveling boards.

I wouldn't leave home without them
Old 07-07-2008, 10:20 PM   #10
Newbie shopping for FR

I am not a land surveyor by profession and have always felt that "close enough is close enough". We have a 31 foot travel trailer and where it is sitting right now (on concrete pads at our lake lot) it is level and not level. If I place a 2 foot level on the back bumper it is a little off to the left and if I place the level on the triangle at the front it is a little off the other way. Somewhere in the middle it must be perfect. As long as my head in not lower than my feet when I am trying to sleep I am happy. I say just get it close put away the level and enjoy the camping.