Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2019, 03:46 AM   #1

License plate bracket.

The license plate bracket on the back of our Sunseeker is a plastic bracket molded into the tail light.
It hangs down from the bottom of the tail light, and isn't quite flush with the rear of the RV, so the bottom of the plate isn't mounted, and sticks out about an inch.
I'll bet the plate flaps in the wind, so I want to mount the bottom of the plate to the RV. That plastic bracket can't be good for too much flapping and I don't want to lose it.
It might be adequate to use sheet metal screws to secure into the composite panel, but the engineer in me wants to use anchors.
Has anyone done this?
What kind of anchor should I use? The license plate anchors I've seen snap into pre- punched square holes, with retainers that grip a specific thickness of metal or plastic. I haven't seen any round anchors like this.
n1acguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:41 AM   #2

I would be very reluctant to add additional anchors due to water infiltration. If you feel it’s necessary to secure the bottom of the plate what about VHB tape or similar to attach a rubber threaded insert to the surface. you could then use a machine screw from the plate into the insert.

My plate is attached the same, with SS nuts & bolts to the plastic tail light bracket. After 3 seasons and 35K+ miles I’ve had no issues.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:52 AM   #3

I wouldn't make any holes in the RV.. you're just asking for water infiltration issues.

My camper is 12 yrs old and it's stil got the plastic bracket connected to the tail light. Works just fine.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #4

Maybe try an outdoor Command Strip.

I agree that the bracket isn't the best design and I did have to replace one after several years of service. Mine seemed to have gotten brittle before it cracked.

I also agree with others that wouldn't want to put a hole in an outside wall to address this.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:06 PM   #5

Speaking of holes and water intrusion

When I removed the taillight to see if I could adjust the bracket (can't it's a one piece molded assembly) I found that the approximately 1.5 inch rough cut hole in the rear panel isn't sealed in any way. There is no gasket behind the taillight.
I plan to put some permagum in the hole and seal the tail light and screw holes with RTV or similar.
n1acguy is offline   Reply With Quote