Old 07-24-2008, 05:09 AM   #1
Light Bulbs For Tail Light On TT

As I was checking things out on the camper for a trip to Myrtle Beach I had some Issues with the tail lights and sockets on my camper which I had posted on the Forum due to corrosion. My camper requires #2057 bulbs for tail lights, I went to my dealer to get replacements and come to find out they do not carry them in stock and they are a Rockwood dealer, so it was suggested to me to use #1157 bulbs but the candle power would be a little weaker. While we were at Myrtle Beach I stopped at Camping World to get replacement bulbs, well guess what... they stopped carrying them, then I ask about socket replacements, Guess what... they stopped carrying them too, but I could buy the tail light assembly for $10.00 each. Well I made one more trip to the nearest Wal-Mart and guess what... they had the # 2057 bulbs that I needed. As far as the sockets go, I cleaned them up and also found that the slot that holds the ear to the bulb was distorted which caused the bulb to set crooked in the socket, All is good now, However I did learn a lesson, go to Wal- Mart first.

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
Head Rambler
Mine takes 3057's and I found them at Wal-Mart. Some of them even have the sockets too. I even found L.E.D. lamps at one.

Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
Site Team
If you can find a tube of silicone grease at your hardware or automotive store,
it works great to prevent socket corrosion.
Some call it 0-ring grease.

I had a boat for 14 years. The trailer and all marker and tail lights got dunked
in the lake every time we launched or retrieved the boat-- several times a season.
I smeared silicone grease on the bulb bases and filled the sockets with it before
inserting the bulbs. They never failed to make contact after that.

Note-- I tried the same thing with Vaseline petroleum jelly but it reacted with the
brass coating on the bulb bases or sockets so I switched to silicone grease.
It really works.
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
dito on the silicone grease

good stuff

plumber's greese also works well if you can find it. HD and Lowes around here don't carry it anymore. Have to go to a plumbing supply shop.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
Thanks for the Ideas. In order to keep water out of the tail light lens I used red electrical tape.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote