Old 09-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #1

Lippert steps sound like thrashing machine!

I have LCI steps on my 2012 Georgetown 280 motorhome. About 2/3's of the time they bounce up and down after retracting for a few seconds. I also have problems when extending with the motor still running after extended for a few seconds making a pinging noise. I have checked it well and found nothing broke or loose. I called Stromberg Carlson and was told it was either the motor or the Step Control Module. How can I tell if the motor is bad? Do I have to remove it to test it?

Old 09-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfwhitis
I have LCI steps on my 2012 Georgetown 280 motorhome. About 2/3's of the time they bounce up and down after retracting for a few seconds. I also have problems when extending with the motor still running after extended for a few seconds making a pinging noise. I have checked it well and found nothing broke or loose. I called Stromberg Carlson and was told it was either the motor or the Step Control Module. How can I tell if the motor is bad? Do I have to remove it to test it?
Most likly the problem is from the double swivel bolt. Aka (Hein bolt), very poor design. it connects the rotary actuator plate to the steps throwout assembly. The stud where connected to the rotarry plate loosens and allows all the clunking and jerky moves. Two 7/16" wrenches and tighten. If you don't that stud will fail and steps will have no restraint- careful.