Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2018, 03:54 PM   #1

Lippert Tongue Jack 181794 ooopppppsssss

Hello friends!
Ran the tongue jack up too far this morning apparently...blew the 30a fuse (fixed) and jack works fine again. Looked at the emergency crank nut on top and cracked it into smithereens. So, a couple of questions...

1. Leaving tomorrow for 2 weeks on the road. No time to replace the jack now. Seems to work fine for now, hoping for the best...has anyone done this before? Any luck with the long term survivability of the jack? Think I have a work around if necessary while traveling- should I replace when I settle in MI for a few days?

2. I looked everywhere for a replacement nut- most tech sites I saw say its a non-replaceable part. Anyone found a part # or workable replacement they can share?

Thanks!
Kamp
2016 Shamrock 23IKSS
mkampling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #2

I have read on here that running to the stops can/will cause the fuse to go.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
Carknocker Family

Did same as you, blew fuse, tried to use wrench to lower. Who puts a plastic nut on these things? Shattered of course, been two years ago, haven't blown a fuse since. And jack is still there, sans plastic nut.
Will probably be sorry now that I have said something.
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:28 PM   #4

Good information to store in my memory banks. Problem is...it's not as large or as reliable as it use to be.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #5

Substitute Nut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkampling View Post
Hello friends!
Ran the tongue jack up too far this morning apparently...blew the 30a fuse (fixed) and jack works fine again. Looked at the emergency crank nut on top and cracked it into smithereens. So, a couple of questions...

1. Leaving tomorrow for 2 weeks on the road. No time to replace the jack now. Seems to work fine for now, hoping for the best...has anyone done this before? Any luck with the long term survivability of the jack? Think I have a work around if necessary while traveling- should I replace when I settle in MI for a few days?

2. I looked everywhere for a replacement nut- most tech sites I saw say its a non-replaceable part. Anyone found a part # or workable replacement they can share?

Thanks!
Kamp
Kamp, I am not very familiar with the Lippert jacks, but what is the plastic nut attached to? If it is a metal stud of some sort, you may be able to use an acorn nut if threaded, else you could use a regular nut and just tack weld it to the end of the shaft. If it has to be a plastic nut to attach to the stud, you could line the inside of an appropriate socket with a piece of celophane wrap and fill with JB Weld on the stud. Once it hardens, it should serve as an emergency nut to raise or lower the jack manually.

I've blown the fuse on my 3500# tongue jack and after freeing up the motor, it has been working fine for the last 4 years...luckily, mine has a steel nut for the manual operation. To keep from running mine too far, I put some colored tape near the minimum and maximum lengths to allow on the extension.

Good Luck with the repairs ,,, Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:12 PM   #6

"put some colored tape near the minimum and maximum lengths to allow on the extension.". My Jayco Dealer already had the tape on mine, when I bought it. Is the answer for not repeating the issue.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
"put some colored tape near the minimum and maximum lengths to allow on the extension.". My Jayco Dealer already had the tape on mine, when I bought it. Is the answer for not repeating the issue.
X2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:21 AM   #8
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkampling View Post
Hello friends!

Thanks!
Kamp
FYI. See attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Power_Tongue_Jack_Owner_s_Manual.pdf (2.44 MB, 85 views)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote