Old 07-25-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
Low battery alert on Safe T Alert alarm

We just returned from a 14 day dry camping trip to the Adirondacks - waterfront, just fantastic except for the low battery alert that went off on 3 different occasions, twice while I was in the shower. Scared the heck out of one of our dogs and annoyed the DW no end.
My battery tester showed over 12.1 available (OK range) when the alarm let loose. I run 2 series 24 deep cycle, but not hooked together. With my generator on, I charge one thru the camper and concurrently charge the other one thru a battery charger. As one weakens I manually switch over. I ran the generator about 4 hrs. per day out of a permissible 5.
This also happened twice on a previous 7 day trip. I e-mailed SafeTAlert at that time, but I only have so many years left in me waiting for a reply. The alarm is a combo. CO and Gas alarm.
Thoughts are to: 1) replace unit with the type my old camper had (propane only w/ separate CO alarm); 2) wire the batteries together - will this help?; 3) disable the alarm - only way now is to completely disconnect the battery.
The camper has led lights, but my model has a cooling fan for the fridge that runs a lot and I wonder what kind of draw this carries.
Thanks for any advice.

2015 Shamrock 231KSS, Oyster shell
2016 Chev Silverado LT Z71 Ext. Cab, 4x4, 5.3L V/8
Reese Straight Line WDH, 2000W Honda Gen.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping in 2015, 45 in 2016
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:48 PM   #2
12.1vdc = about a 40% charge at 80*F

Available power varies with temperature. I had problems with my factory converter WFCO not charging to my liking but it is OK per Mfg.
I removed it and installed. a IOTA converter, better charge profiles. I would install a battery A/B/Both switch and use one charger. Swapping battery cables is a PITA. I also installed a 120 watt solar panel.

1 bulb example on overnight will draw 1 amp/ hr out of your batteries.
You can remove the Propane leak detector fuse from power center when camper is not used but protection alerts are lost. Find your amp draws for unexpected loads.

I have experienced your problems and have modified my methods and equipment. I love the camping no hook-up and get by fine with power management.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:23 AM   #3
Good idea about the A/B /Both switch. Swapping cables is a PITA especially while crouched under an open bunk end. When fully charged my batteries are at 12.7 to 12.8. Since my post, we've done 3 more dry camping trips and my battery management has gotten better. Taking showers during generator on times seems to have helped. Will look at solar, but our sites are often very wooded. If nothing else, next time DW asks if anyone has ever responded to my post I can say yes.
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote