Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2016, 01:19 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
bpa098's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Westmoreland
Posts: 310
thankfully i have electric hook up at the next 3 trips, so maybe by time i fully boondock again i will have bit the bullet and got some solar.
__________________

__________________
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:54 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Aurora CO
Posts: 87
I have the same problem with my Flagstaff 832IKBS. It only happens when I am using my furnace at night and working off of battery power. Around 4 or 5 in the morning my low voltage alarm goes off. When I look at my battery monitor system it shows between 1/2 and 3/4 of power. I am using two deep cycle batteries with 100 watt solar panel on them during the day. I start the night at full charge on the monitor. I have to use the battery kill switch to stop the alarm and after a few minutes after doing this the alarm resets. It is in for service as we speak. They are switching it out to a new one to see if this solves my problems. The unit is only five months old so the batteries are in great shape. I will keep you posted as we are heading out tonight for five nights. Not expecting to use the furnace so we may not know until we go up to altitude later this summer at 10,000 feet.
__________________

__________________
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
bpa098's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Westmoreland
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
I have the same problem with my Flagstaff 832IKBS. It only happens when I am using my furnace at night and working off of battery power. Around 4 or 5 in the morning my low voltage alarm goes off. When I look at my battery monitor system it shows between 1/2 and 3/4 of power. I am using two deep cycle batteries with 100 watt solar panel on them during the day. I start the night at full charge on the monitor. I have to use the battery kill switch to stop the alarm and after a few minutes after doing this the alarm resets. It is in for service as we speak. They are switching it out to a new one to see if this solves my problems. The unit is only five months old so the batteries are in great shape. I will keep you posted as we are heading out tonight for five nights. Not expecting to use the furnace so we may not know until we go up to altitude later this summer at 10,000 feet.
thanks for info although mine seems to go off when i am legitimately low on power. I checked he panel all weekend. first day it hardly moved, late Saturday it was 2/3 and going to bed Sunday night it said 1/3. my kids and i all like to sleep with a fan on, so we have three fans plugged in and running all night. good luck with your new alarm, hope thats all it was
__________________
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:03 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
MilCop4523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In a big child free home - except for me
Posts: 1,348
Safety Second....

why would anyone want to tamper with the detectors. especially if their lives may depend on it?

my smoke detector went off 2 weeks ago at about 3 am and i shot out of bed hitting my head on the overhead shelf in teh trailer. cursed at it but you know what if it had been an electrical fire or something burning in the area of my trailer i would damn well be happy it went off.
__________________
09 Sundance 31.5 XLT Bunkhouse
17 Greywolf 22rr Toy Hauler
and
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:10 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
bpa098's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Westmoreland
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
Safety Second....

why would anyone want to tamper with the detectors. especially if their lives may depend on it?

my smoke detector went off 2 weeks ago at about 3 am and i shot out of bed hitting my head on the overhead shelf in teh trailer. cursed at it but you know what if it had been an electrical fire or something burning in the area of my trailer i would damn well be happy it went off.
not looking to kill my CO, propane or smoke detector. Just thought the low voltage alarm might be something separate. Didnt really feel my batteries dying would be life threatening. ok could damage the batteries but losing power would kill my fans and fridge is all i figured.
__________________
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:16 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
MilCop4523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In a big child free home - except for me
Posts: 1,348
fridge should run fine on LP and fans are overrated when you could open windows...

i think you may find that the low voltage warning may be an inherent part of the system that if you override it it compromises your safety especially with the CO and LP detector whereas they are not generally battery (encased in the unit like the kindle smoke units are)
our CO detector was beeping last winter and we hooked up a charged battery to re- energize the unit and it stopped for months once disconnected again.

Worth looking into i guess - all i know is i wouldn't do an autopsy on a unit designed to save my life because it woke me up from a deep sleep.
__________________
09 Sundance 31.5 XLT Bunkhouse
17 Greywolf 22rr Toy Hauler
and
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:19 PM   #17
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,572
The alarm is not really a low voltage alarm, it is technically a "the battery is too low for the CO/Propane alarm to function properly" If you found a way to turn it off, the detector would not function properly.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
bpa098's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Westmoreland
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The alarm is not really a low voltage alarm, it is technically a "the battery is too low for the CO/Propane alarm to function properly" If you found a way to turn it off, the detector would not function properly.
that makes sense, thought it was a separate alarm just for the batteries. Didnt think it had anything to do with the other alarms
__________________
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:29 PM   #19
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,303
When dry camping or boondocking, even with two batteries, using the furnace over a weekend(along with lights, water pump, fans, fridge, water heater) can deplete the batteries down enough to activate the alarm.
Furnace usage is the BIG battery drain.
__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:19 PM   #20
Member
 
kc5mhb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 70
In lieu of using the furnace, a My Buddy heater may be a better choice. I tent camp with the Boy Scouts and had an occasion to use one. I don't have the largest one but it certainly did the job in my 9 x 7 tent. I was concerned at first about using it in the tent even though it is designed for that purpose. I'm sold on it now and even have the hook up for my 5 gallon propane tank. Battery powered 8 or 10" fans help too. Oh I don't put the propane tank inside either.
__________________

__________________
2015 Cherokee Limited 274DBH
2000 F250 CC SD V10 4X4 8' bed, 4:30 gears, SCT X3
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 - Lots of GT mods
1965 Mustang Coupe I6, 3 spd. manual
1963 Thunderbird Landau 390
kc5mhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
voltage

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.