Old 06-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #1

low voltage warning alarm

so has anyone ever disarmed the low voltage alarm? sure i know we dont want to drain the batteries all they way so the warning is good but i didnt like when it woke me up at 4 and i could get back to sleep lol

Old 06-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpa098 View Post
so has anyone ever disarmed the low voltage alarm? sure i know we dont want to drain the batteries all they way so the warning is good but i didnt like when it woke me up at 4 and i could get back to sleep lol
Are you perhaps talking about the low voltage on your propane and/or CO leak detector?

If so, that is a pretty important safety feature to let you know that your battery(12 volt) is low and the detector (which could save your life if a leak or carbon monoxide occurs) will not function without 12 volt power.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #3

yes that is what i am talking about. i dont want to disarm the CO/propane detector just the low voltage part, maybe not even possible. at 4am i went out and unhooked the battery killing everything, then once kids woke up i got my old spare battery out of storage (under bench seat) and hooked it up. but i would rather have slept a few more hours and just let the batteries die out without the alarm unless that would have killed my new good batteries which would be costly to replace
Old 06-29-2016, 11:08 AM   #4
Site Team

I wouldn't think that is really advisable. Not really knowing what RV make/model/year you have, there is also a small possibility your propane system has a solenoid on it tied to the alarm/detector. This solenoid is supposed to shut off the propane in case of the alarm activating. It also shuts off the propane if you disconnect the detector.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #5

ok i will leave it be and try not to get so low on the batteries. I added a second battery and we wanted to see how they would last. So we didnt conserve as much as we usually do, and of course we didnt get low enough to sound the alarm till early morning. oh well, i enjoyed peace and quite before the rain started and while all others were sleeping.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpa098 View Post
ok i will leave it be and try not to get so low on the batteries. I added a second battery and we wanted to see how they would last. So we didnt conserve as much as we usually do, and of course we didnt get low enough to sound the alarm till early morning. oh well, i enjoyed peace and quite before the rain started and while all others were sleeping.
Here is a thought, depending upon how long you run off of battery, you could install a separate battery like a UB1290 as a backup for the CO sensor. I'm thinking two circuits, one to charge the battery while its not in use and another to switch to the backup when the primary gets below 10 - 11 Volts. That way you have ample power for the CO sensor even if the main batteries go dead. Look around at the Raspberry Pi, Arduino, and Add a fruit modules. There are all kinds of modules out there and one may suit your needs.
2000 F250 CC SD V10 4X4 8' bed, 4:30 gears, SCT X3
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 - Lots of GT mods
1965 Mustang Coupe I6, 3 spd. manual
1963 Thunderbird Landau 390
kc5mhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:47 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

How long do your batteries last before this happens?
What do you use to recharge them while camping?

Sounds like you should be moving to a pair of 6v golf cart batteries.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

Or dual 12V Marine Deep Cycle. I thought the same but didn't want to go back and edit my post.
2000 F250 CC SD V10 4X4 8' bed, 4:30 gears, SCT X3
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 - Lots of GT mods
1965 Mustang Coupe I6, 3 spd. manual
1963 Thunderbird Landau 390
kc5mhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

we got there Friday night and the alarm sounded Monday morning. This was with radio playing most of the time, awning lights on each night, water pump on the whole time, fridge, water heater, 3 bed fans on all night and kids leaving lights on to much. Also nothing was used to recharge. i usually conserve better but wanted to test out the new set up.

i plan on solar in the future or my own generator. weekend trips last year we conserved and got through using 1 new 12v 31 and one old 12v 24 battery. Now i have two 12v group 31s set up in parallel with the old group 24 in storage for back up. i hooked that up later Monday morning to finish out the day. If we go on a longer trip i will borrow my fathers honda generator and run it each day for an hour or two. my dad was saying i should go get a cheap $100 geny from harbor freight to just give it a trickle charge while i am there. think i would rather solar though, he doesnt camp and doesnt get the noise issue or the genny, more weight, gas to run it......
Old 06-29-2016, 01:16 PM   #10
Site Team

In addition to all the comments above the point at which the CO/Propane alarm sounds is very close to the point at which you do not want to further drain your batteries. They will not fail immediately, but routinely draining the battery too low reduces the ability to accept a full charge. The battery live will slowly diminish until it is unacceptable.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
voltage