Old 11-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #1

LP Gas crossover

I know this may be a stupid question but here it goes....
I have duel LP tanks and when I switched from the tank I was using to the full tank I did not get any gas. I then swapped the tank locations and the full tank worked in the location of the old tank. Am I missing something? I don't want to swap the tanks everytime one goes empty. I sholud be able to just switch over. The previous owner sait it would automatically switch tanks but there is a manual switch at the regulator. Can someone run down the operation for me so i understand how it is supposed to work? Thanks

Old 11-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Leave both tank valves open. When the primary supply tank runs dry, it should automatically switch to the secondary tank. Switch the regulator valve to the 2nd tank, which is now the full primary tank. Close the valve to the empty tank, and you should be able to remove it while the current full tank is open. Fill the empty tank, reinstall the hose, open the valve, and the process will be repeated when the other tank goes empty.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #3

I have seen posts where the pigtail that connects to the tank has been defective not allowing gas to flow. Should be able to tell if this is the problem by returning tanks to original position and swapping the pigtails.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I know this may be a stupid question but here it goes....
I have duel LP tanks and when I switched from the tank I was using to the full tank I did not get any gas. I then swapped the tank locations and the full tank worked in the location of the old tank. Am I missing something? I don't want to swap the tanks everytime one goes empty. I sholud be able to just switch over. The previous owner sait it would automatically switch tanks but there is a manual switch at the regulator. Can someone run down the operation for me so i understand how it is supposed to work? Thanks
Depends what you mean by "switch over" . The black pointer thingy on the regulator is not a switch over device. It is merely a pointer which enables you to know which tank is the "active" tank. Here's how it is supposed to work: Assuming that you begin with two FULL tanks - slowly open the valve on one of the tanks and then switch the pointer to that tank indicating that it is the active tank. Then slowly open the valve to the second tank (both valves will now be open) and note that the indicator will show green. The indicator will gradually change color going towards red (or sometimes orange depending on the regulator) When it changes to red, that means that the first tank has gone empty and the auto changeover has switched to the second tank. Close the valve to the first tank, go and get it refilled and reconnect it to the regulator. Slowly open the valve to the re-filled tank, but leave the pointer pointing to the second tank. Don't switch the pointer back to the first tank until the indicator goes to red again. Then get the second tank re-filled. Etc, etc, etc, etc.

Hope this helps.

...VTX-AL
Old 11-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #5

Well, I certainly learned something. I was told by the tech who took me through my rig at delivery that the "pointer" did control the flow. He said putting the "pointer" in the straight down position would draw from both tanks at the same time, which he didn't recommend. In fact, I didn't realize that the tanks would automatically switch over. Great info!!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
Depends what you mean by "switch over" . The black pointer thingy on the regulator is not a switch over device. It is merely a pointer which enables you to know which tank is the "active" tank. Here's how it is supposed to work: Assuming that you begin with two FULL tanks - slowly open the valve on one of the tanks and then switch the pointer to that tank indicating that it is the active tank. Then slowly open the valve to the second tank (both valves will now be open) and note that the indicator will show green. The indicator will gradually change color going towards red (or sometimes orange depending on the regulator) When it changes to red, that means that the first tank has gone empty and the auto changeover has switched to the second tank. Close the valve to the first tank, go and get it refilled and reconnect it to the regulator. Slowly open the valve to the re-filled tank, but leave the pointer pointing to the second tank. Don't switch the pointer back to the first tank until the indicator goes to red again. Then get the second tank re-filled. Etc, etc, etc, etc.

Hope this helps.

...VTX-AL
I don't have a black pointy thing, just a switch that shows a red dot and a green dot. The location of the colored dots depends on the position the switch is in. I assume the green dot indicates the active tank and the red dot represents the inactive tank. If this is the case maybe the dots take the place of the black pointy thing. I have no idea how to determine the fullness of my tanks. There doesnt seem to be a level indicator as you have described. I had one on my last camper but not this one. Does anyone have the same set up here?
Old 11-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Leave both tank valves open. When the primary supply tank runs dry, it should automatically switch to the secondary tank. Switch the regulator valve to the 2nd tank, which is now the full primary tank. Close the valve to the empty tank, and you should be able to remove it while the current full tank is open. Fill the empty tank, reinstall the hose, open the valve, and the process will be repeated when the other tank goes empty.

How would I know when the first tank is empty?
These campers should come with decent manuals instead of the basic one page covers all.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #8

VTX Al is right on, but he omitted a step...I've added it in red into his post.

Depends what you mean by "switch over" . The black pointer thingy on the regulator is not a switch over device. It is merely a pointer which enables you to know which tank is the "active" tank. Here's how it is supposed to work: Assuming that you begin with two FULL tanks - slowly open the valve on one of the tanks and then switch the pointer to that tank indicating that it is the active tank. Then slowly open the valve to the second tank (both valves will now be open) and note that the indicator will show green. The indicator will gradually change color going towards red (or sometimes orange depending on the regulator) When it changes to red, that means that the first tank has gone empty and the auto changeover has switched to the second tank. Turn the arrow to the second tank (it is now the "service" or "active" tank) and the indicator will now show green. Close the valve to the first tank, go and get it refilled and reconnect it to the regulator. Slowly open the valve to the re-filled tank, but leave the pointer pointing to the second tank. Don't switch the pointer back to the first tank until the indicator goes to red again. Then get the second tank re-filled. Etc, etc, etc, etc.

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST"

Nights camped in 2011: 108
Nights camped in 2012: 41
piscesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
How would I know when the first tank is empty?
These campers should come with decent manuals instead of the basic one page covers all.
I left that out of my post, but piscesman explained it in his post.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #10

I got home tonight and re-read these posts and then went out to look at my tanks. Everything makes sense now. I never noticed the bubble in the center of the knob that indicates the propane level. Now I know how it works. Thanks for your help with this. You guys are great.