Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #1

LPG Switch problem

We just got back from a month long dry camping trip. One of my 30 lb propane bottles ran out and following the instructions from the manual, I turned the bottle off, turned the LPG switch which was showing red over to the other side 30 lb tank, then disconnected the empty tank at the connector. Closed the access panel on the trailer and put the empty tank in to the back of my truck to go for refilling.

About and hour later, the LPG detector in the trailer went off, and we could smell propane inside the trailer.

I ran outside and turned off the other 30 lb bottle and opened all the windows to clear the trailer. Rechecked that I had swithced over the indicator to the full bottle and noted that the indicator where the other bottle had been was still showing red. (When a new bottle is hooked up to it it will change back to green).

Waited 10 minutes and turned the full bottle back on. Walked back to the empty bay and could hear a hissing sound coming from the LPG connector that had been disconnected from the empty bottle. LPG detector in trailer sounded again and had to turn everything off again.

I had a 20 lb bottle for my bbq with me and I put that into the empty hatch and attached it to the connector, the green indicator showed and I was able to turn on the 30 lb bottle.

Is this a defect in the LPG regulator or is this a commaon occurance? I spoke to several other 5th wheel owners in the campground and they also have had the same problem and carry a small bottle to use as I did while getting the empty refilled.

I consider myself lucky that I had a bbq with a 20 lb bottle, or I would have had to buy ice to keep the frig going.

Should I report this to my dealer or were the other owners correct?
Scarred the living daylights out of my wife and myself.

Thanks

Camping 2012: 40 nights
wakamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #2

I would report this to the dealer because you should be able to take the empty bottle out while the regulator is switched to the full one. I have a 2011 Flagstaff 8528RLWS and have filled both tanks using this method.

Ray
seatosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #3

Yep, sounds like there is something wrong with the regulator. I have also refilled just one tank while the other was on and had no problems.
El Saltino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
Retired US Navy Diver

My 2011 Flagstaff V-lite came w/ dual tanks w/ a automatic switchover regulator system. With both tanks on, and the control knob pointed at the passenger side tank, I used the trailer for a week. I had also added tank level gauges. When checking the tanks I found that both tanks were draining down. My local RV dealer replaced the regulator assembly under warranty. I didn't like the factory unit anyway as the indicator for empty tank could not be seen clearly as it was located on the front of the regulator assembly and I have a V-nose trailer. The new regulator assembly has a bobber indicator that is clearly visible from either door of the V-nose.
gktsuda1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #5

I had a problem with my regulator and found it was one of the hose's not the regulator and a few bucks for a hose was a nice cheap fix.
jeepsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Site Team

My previous trailer would do something like that.
Can't remember the exact circumstances but I discovered
it had something to do with switching the lever to
the other tank while there was no tank on one side.

I -think- if you have both tanks on,
the one the lever points to is your "main".
The one the lever doesn't point to is your "reserve".
If the main runs out the regulator will switch you to the
"reserve" and turn red.
At that point, don't do anything to the lever.
If you want to go fill the empty tank do it.
If you're not going to fill the empty right away just
shut it off and leave it connected.
Don't move the lever to point to the full tank until you
have swapped out/refilled the empty one.

This seemed to work for me.
YMMV
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote