Old 05-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
Mach 3 a/c question

2011 30wfkss flagstaff v-lite w/atrium slide & rear bedroom slide. Have MACH 3 15,000 btu ducted a/c. Camping this past weekend and was the first trip that I ever used the a/c. I set t-stat on 73F night before. Unit kicked on at 7:30am next morning and did not cycle off until around 10:30pm that night. Inside temp. slowly climbed all day and peeked out at 84F from around 3-6pm then started dropping as outside temp. dropped. Outside air temp. peeked out at 92F around 4-5. Night shades shut to keep out as much radiant solar heat as possible. Was parked in full sunlight. Not sure what a/c discharge temp was. Did not have a thermometer to put up to vent. It did feel cool and would cool the camper back down as outdoor ambient went back down. Tried several different configurations with the vents, opening/closing all ducted vents along with main a/c vent.........etc. It just didn't keep up. Always seemed to only get an 8 degree temp. drop from outside temp. Has anyone else had the same problem with the combination of atrium slide and full sunlight vs. 15k btu a/c? I'm thinking the 15,000 btu a/c is either undersized for the heat load being that the atrium slide is loaded with windows or a possible problem exists and I need to take it back to dealer. Thanks

wfkssvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
My 2008 30 WRLS W/O Atrium slide but two slide outs has a 13,500 ducted Dometic AC that cycles on and off in 94 degree days in Florida, and we set it at 72 degrees- works great never any complaints. However, AC units are designed to cool 20 degrees below the outside temperature; so at 92 it should cool to 72, but not much more. Set at 73, it would be having to work pretty hard in full sun with all those windows. By the way, a 15,000 btu unit is as big as they get; your only opeion would be to add a second unit for more coolness, however that would require some major upgrading to your converter and power supply for 30 to 50 amps for 2 units. Best thing to do is find a shadier campground, or camp when it is cooler outside, or use fans to add to the AC's breezes.
Good Luck, Randy
/SIGPIC]'08 V-lite Flagstaff 30WRLS
'06 Ram 1500 QC hemi Reese dual cam sway control,
K&N series 77 intake, Hellwig helper spgs. LT tires,
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote