Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2015, 11:50 PM   #1

Main door shock

I have seen on some campers a shock that only lets the door open out straight to 90 degrees. Anyone know what that is called or if it can be added to our new camper. Ive been looking on Amazon but dont see it. The door hits the awning when it is out . Thanks!
firedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:18 AM   #2

It's called a gas strut. It's not that difficult to add one, just depends on the approach you are going. If you want it not to be external, you need to modify your screen door to be able to store the strut tube in the closed position. If you saw them mounted at the bottom of doors, did you notice the screen door's bottom rail was about 1.5" above the threshold and then there was a tall brush door sweep? Some camper manufacturers are mounting them externally above the door (Nexus motorhomes come to mind). Anyway, to get you started for ideas:

Amazon.com: RV Designer G21 20" Gas Prop - 10 lb. Load Capacity: Automotive

http://www.amazon.com/RV-Designer-Co...r%20gas%20prop
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #3

Funny. I was just thinking about removing mine because I want the door to open all the way.
rsv4pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
Dazed & Confused

Our Windjammer has one which I assumed was to keep the door from slamming into the awning support arm.
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #5

On my previous unit, 2006 Flagstaff 26rlss super lite, the dealer had to intall one on my rear entry door because the door covered the furnace exhaust when opened all the way. This was after they melted the door on the PDI.
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #6

Thumbs down I can top that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Laker View Post
On my previous unit, 2006 Flagstaff 26rlss super lite, the dealer had to intall one on my rear entry door because the door covered the furnace exhaust when opened all the way. This was after they melted the door on the PDI.
Last trip of 2014 season in November, we had family of 4 pull in next to us with their first camper, fresh from their PDI that morning, and excited as could be! Only about a dozen campers in the CG so late in the season, and most of us were in the riverfront sites. Anyway, seemed to be very nice folks, but DW and I were on our way out for a day trip. Came back around dinnertime and we were inside preparing to cook when out of nowhere it sounded like a bomb went off! DW likes to tell it that I flew out the door with sidearm drawn, but you betcha I flew out to see what the **** was going on.

Our new neighbors were out of their camper in a panic, children screaming and crying, and neighboring campers joined me in asking if it was propane and if there's fire. Family didn't know exactly what happened but said the whole camper shook violently! Saw no signs of flames or odor of gas and we began looking around their camper. Well, their new camper had the furnace exhaust out the rear wall and next to the hot water heater. I will give you 3 guesses where the dealer decided to bolt on the spare tire carrier?!?
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door