Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #1

Major water leak in outside storage compartmeny

The first storage compartment on the driver's side of our 2860DS (just behind the generator) takes in water now after every rain storm--up to 1-3 inches. We replaced the worn out gasketing all around the door but this does not stop the water problem. After a storm, we have checked for wet walls, etc inside the compartment itself but nothing seems to be wet. On the wall at the back of the compartment ( going to the back of the RV) appears to be a ledge of some sort and this was wet after the last storm. All of the other compartments have remained dry however. Does anyone know if it is possible that water is leaking down from somewhere up higher in the RV? Have checked interior walls of the RV itself etc but have found no signs of water. Will get on top of the RV to see if We can see something up there...Any suggestions as to where we might look for the source of the water. Thanks for any help.
Fredph32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #2

I had similar leakage in my 3010DS right rear compartment. Turned out to be a small leakage with a lot of water along the roof line. Cleared up with a little calk.
Gchpazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:16 PM   #3

I dont know if your MH has similar seals as my 5th wheel did because it will depend on how the lower panel is built.

So this is a long shot looking at pics of your RV but I had a major leak in my main compartment. Problem was where the lower panels meet the upper walls there is a seam. They seal this with that metal/rubber piece and usually some kind of compound.
Well mine was not sealed properly and water would run down the outer wall..hit that strip that covers the two panels and then run down and inside my storage compartment. That took forever to find and caused alot of damage.
See I don't know how that is on yours as it is an MH I think but it should be a seam. I had to do a very neat caulk job along that upper edge of that strip...could not really take it all off. Taped it all off with painters tape so I had a straight but narrow caulk seam.....verses some goobered up finger smudge job.
Anyway that was my leak....sadly they can come from a long ways away too.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, storage, water, water leak