Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
Always Learning

Measuring camper width

This is purely for my curiosity...

I know my camper is advertised at 96" wide, but I assume that does not include the awning and know it can't include things like the dealer-installed slide toppers.

Any ideas for measuring the width of the camper at its widest? It's either going to be at the awning across to the main slide with the topper or back at the back from the opposing slides each with slide toppers.

I'm assuming the simplest is going to be to measure the width of the camper/confirm it's 96" and then measure the awning/slide toppers and add them together.

Any other ideas?
Old 05-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm assuming the simplest is going to be to measure the width of the camper/confirm it's 96" and then measure the awning/slide toppers and add them together.
That is the way I figured on mine. 8' for the camper, a couple of inches for the awning (can't remember exactly), and then I had to add about another inch for the protruding marker lights on the opposite side.

I have always wondered about campers that are wider than 96". Airstream for 1 has campers that are 8' 5.5". Many of the motorhomes are now 100" wide. Throw in awnings in the mix, and the overall width is over the maximum 102" recognized on most roads. Mirrors and marker lights don't count in the 102" maximum.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper