Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
MI Camperz

Mice

I've been reading about mice in RVs. Never knew it could be such a problem. Never had mice in my first RV (Hi-LO), but now have a regular TT at a seasonal site (desolate in the winter). We sealed up, covered the thing and put Bounce sheets and moth balls throughout. I wonder if I did enough. Should I go back and spray with peppermint too? I'm really worried. It would break my heart to have mouse damage.
Opening forum for topic. Seems to be the time of year.
Thanks to anyone for input. p.s. Electric sound things are not an option here. Our seasonal place shuts off power.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:56 AM   #2

I myself just trust in moth balls. I cut the plastic cups down, put a couple holes in the side and fill with moth balls. I place them all over, this year I used 4 large boxes. Awhile back there was a thread about this product you may want to check out Earth-Kind
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #3

We used Irish Spring all over in drawers & other places. We take all food & paper products out of trailer. We have not had any problems in 3 yrs knock on wood.

Good Luck
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal4fun View Post
I myself just trust in moth balls. I cut the plastic cups down, put a couple holes in the side and fill with moth balls. I place them all over, this year I used 4 large boxes. Awhile back there was a thread about this product you may want to check out Earth-Kind
same here with the moth balls- this weekend we were camping with the "group" and someone said they use Bounce dryer sheets anyone else use these?

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper1 View Post
same here with the moth balls- this weekend we were camping with the "group" and someone said they use Bounce dryer sheets anyone else use these?

Trying the Bounce technique this year. Never used anything before, other than clean the camper of any food items. Never had a problem before.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #6

used bounce for 5 years never had a problem with mice and the trailer smells great verses moth balls
blynds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:09 PM   #7

Tried Bounce sheets in a stored car. The mice used them to make nests!

The only thing I have found that they really don't like is used oil. I think the smell messes up their scent trails. Remember, it isn't the first mouse that causes the real mess, it is the dozen family memebrs that follow that scent trail. But of course, you can't use oil in your camper.

Maybe sticking moth balls in every potential external opening might be the next best thing. The trick is to keep them from getting in the camper, not trying to make them leave after they are already in. Good luck!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #8

We've had our trailer at a storage place that had fields on all sides. Gated, nice/secure new place with cameras all over, but didn't stop mice from coming in when it got cold. I did randomly check the trailer once a week for anything out of the ordinary and found traces of a/c duct foam balls on the floor and droppings our second year there. Declared war with steel wool, Bounce,moth balls, & Decon. Was worried about 1 eating the poison and going to a place I couldn't dispose of him and smelling terrible once the weather warms so I pulled it out. This helped, but once they know how to get in they'll be back. I put traps all over & that took care of them. Moth balls took weeks to get the smell out with the trailer open, so I wouldn't recommend them inside, only on the outside around your tires & slides. Now I keep our trailer at a storage place that sprays with rodent deterant and haven't had any problems although I still put traps out just in case. Oh yeah, I'm toward the middle of the storage place too so there's plenty of units available before they get to mine!!!!
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #9

I'm figuring out the forum and I still can't find my previous post about the cover for winter, but I found another post from you. Thanks for the reply! The covers are expensive, but so is the trailer! I just wanted a second opinion. I'm buying the ADCO cover tomorrow.

Appreciate the help

rrfullmer
rrfullmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #10

I set up what I call the mouse circus.

Take a bucket and put about 3 inches of antifreeze in it (the automotive stuff not the non toxic). Set up a ramp up to it and suspend some kind of cylindrical object across the top of the bucket. Think a tube from wipes or a small pop bottle. Put a little peanut butter on the tube and there you have it, the mouse circus.

The mice go up the ramp and onto the tube to get the food. When they lean over to get the peanut butter the tube spins and they go into the drink. The anitfreeze acts like formaldehyde and keeps them from rotting and stinking.

It works great as I store at home out in the country and mice are a real concern. The first week that it got cold I found 5 mice in the bucket on garbage day. Now it is really cold and no more and no signs of others. I think I got the crew right away this year.

We will see in the spring how well it worked.
dirttracker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #11

I have used fresh cab (earth-kind) for the last 8 years in the camper and trucks and tractors that I store in a machine shed. Have not had a problem since I started using it. Also like the smell of it.
ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirttracker18 View Post
I set up what I call the mouse circus.

Take a bucket and put about 3 inches of antifreeze in it (the automotive stuff not the non toxic). Set up a ramp up to it and suspend some kind of cylindrical object across the top of the bucket. Think a tube from wipes or a small pop bottle. Put a little peanut butter on the tube and there you have it, the mouse circus.

The mice go up the ramp and onto the tube to get the food. When they lean over to get the peanut butter the tube spins and they go into the drink. The anitfreeze acts like formaldehyde and keeps them from rotting and stinking.

It works great as I store at home out in the country and mice are a real concern. The first week that it got cold I found 5 mice in the bucket on garbage day. Now it is really cold and no more and no signs of others. I think I got the crew right away this year.

We will see in the spring how well it worked.
OK, You've got to post some pics of this mouse circus.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #13

I like the idea except I live in the country and have outdoor pets. DW would shoot me if one of her cats had a front row seat under the big top at the mouse circus.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:32 AM   #14

make sure that there is no small holes under the trailer so they can enter. Sometimes only a small ( very small ) hole beside a pipe or electrical wire is enough for these small 4 legged creatures to find their way inside and start a nest in a blanket.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #15

I would like to see a picture of this mouse circus also-or a least a diagram. Thanks
ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayotte View Post
I would like to see a picture of this mouse circus also-or a least a diagram. Thanks
X2. Maybe I'm just not seeing how the tube will spin when the mouse goes out onto it for the PB...?..
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:30 PM   #17

Here is a link to a site I found with the smae idea.
Survivology 101: Build a better mousetrap
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #18

Hey, Old Car,just put a cat in your storage area...Tried the bounce thing on a stored car and a mouse crawled in and died.

Cost $2K to find and remove him. Wish I had thrown a cat in the car when I stored it.

Now it's mouse traps and decon

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #19

I spent part of the afternoon constructing a small version of the mouse circus out of a large bleach bottle, a wooden dowel from a broken drying rack, and a tin can in the recycling bin. Total cost: $0.0. I did substitute bleach/water mix for the antifreeze, as my dogs have to run by it in the garage (where I seem to get the mouse activity the most.) If it works, I'll be making another one for my truck (#2 spot) and one for the TT. What a great idea, just hope it works!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #20

Hey Bend, I have a restored 57 Chevy and have fought the mouse issue with it. I wish I had built my barn 2 feet taller and then I could have the trailer in with the car. But because of lack of insight on my part the trailer sets outside. Maybe I can take one of the house cats that are de-clawed and make it a trailer cat for the winter.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote