Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
jdadoug

Mice

Just got back from camping this weekend and as I was leaving the CG my check engine lite came on my new pickup! I glanced over all the gauges and decided there wasnt much I could do and drove it home. Got out and lifted the hood and imeadiatly could see what the problem was. Damn mice tracks in the dust all over the motor. So I went to work yesterday and brought a scanner home and read the codes. Knock Sensor inoperable. Did a little investigating and sure enough damn mouse had chewed through a wire going to the knock sensor.
Now I gotta work up enough nerve to pull the fuel rail and intake to get to the knock sensor. All done and told this is going to cost me at least $100.00
And thats if I do the work myself. I live on the edge of town and there are trees and brush about. I have kittens but doubt they are doing any good yet, their mom just came up missing the other day. I'm not so sure this didnt happen while I was camping over the weekend. Our site was next to some brush.
Last year a pack rat started to dig the insulation out of our previous camper, he stoped when hit plywood.
Anybody got any ideas on how to prevent mice getting into vehicles/camper?
I have allready put some mothballs under the hood. I cant use antifreeze cause of the dog and cats. I hate to use poison. I would like to here from anybody that has a different idea. Thanks, jdadoug.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #2

We store our camper and TV in a perfectly sealed, heated and air-conditioned shop, but that doesn't work for everyone.
Our everyday vehicles sit in a regular garage, and we try to eliminate any food source that might attract mice. That seems to have worked, so far.
A lot of other equipment is stored in a large quonset, and that is a bigger problem, as mice have always been a problem in there. What I finally did was bury a 5-gallon plastic pail along each side of the building, half filled with anti-freeze, and covered very securely, with just enough space left for the mice to get in. Once some go for a swim, and start to smell (and smell really, really bad!), it seems to attract more and more mice, and they start leaping into the pail. The only problem I foresee is what happens when the pail is full!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #3

I bought one of those sonic repelling devices at Walmart and keep it plugged in. Haven't had a problem since I bought it a year ago.(Knock on wood.) Of course you would need an electrical source. The one I bought is supposed to repel insects and rodents.
thull87814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
DDC

I had the little buggers build a nest in my diesel truck right under the main electrical box, didn't find out till the speedo stopped working, they chewed all the wiring, I replaced the wiring but the speedo head had shorted out was lucky enough to have a good dealer who replace it under warranty
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #5

Fresh Cab. Product works. Check it out on the Internet
Old 08-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #6

Mice

Use bounce sheets. A whole box. Works well!!!
Mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #7

A little off topic but I have replaced a knock sensor on a Nissan before. I think they designed the motor around that thing. Got in over my head fast, to install that little screw in sensor. I use to think they designed cars around the heater core by I have changed my mind. Good luck with your project...
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
jdadoug

Thanks to all who replied, I have the truck in the shop right now to get the wires fixed, and I have gone to Wally World and bought a big box of moth balls. My wifey just hates the smell of them! I just hope they dont smell the inside of the cab up but I guess I would put up with the smell if it keeps the mice away. jdadoug
Old 08-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdadoug
Thanks to all who replied, I have the truck in the shop right now to get the wires fixed, and I have gone to Wally World and bought a big box of moth balls. My wifey just hates the smell of them! I just hope they dont smell the inside of the cab up but I guess I would put up with the smell if it keeps the mice away. jdadoug
Dryer sheets work just as good, and don't smell bad...

2012 Sandpiper 365SAQ
2008 F250 Lariat CCSB, Deleted and Tuned
mortal798 is offline   Reply With Quote