Old 05-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Mice in camper-smell from fan vents

Hi All,

I had a mouse problem during winter storage and now i have a smell when i run the fan/AC. I know they were in the duct works as I found debris, poop, and food falling from the vents. The debris has stopped coming out but the smell remains. It is not very strong (yet) but I am afraid there is a nest or corpse in there. Is there any way to track this down? Eliminate the smell?

R.Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
oh boy this isn't going to be good !
use a shop vac with a long narrow flexible tube to run down vents ?

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
AKA Bluebird
Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
oh boy this isn't going to be good !
use a shop vac with a long narrow flexible tube to run down vents ?
I wonder what would happen if you removed the individual vents and the a/c filter and just used the vac without any tools attached. Barely stick the hose into a vent, perhaps using a damp towel to help seal the hole, and suck away.
Happy Camping! ///// Richard D.
2006 4x4 Ford 250 SD / 2007 Flagstaff 827 FLS
One very patient wife and one furry child who travels with us. Forty-two years of trailering and camping, and I still have a blast.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:38 AM   #4
That doesn't sound like a bad idea. I will definitely give it a shot. I tried the dryer sheet theory for keeping the mice out of the camper this year and it was a major failure. I really hope that smell isn't permanent.
R.Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
I had one die in my cook stove once and had to take the stove out of the camper and disassemble it. I finally found it in a nest in the oven insulation.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
R. Shane, Did you ever find the mouse and get it out of the ductwork?

From the smell of things it appears I have the same problem. II have my 5th wheel parked at a lake spot for the season so I will need to bring my shop vac next time I come down.

I have used dryer sheets for over 20 years and this is the first time I have had any issue. I use Bounce dryer sheets and use almost a full big box size.
MoreFreeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
I also use Bounce dryer sheets but also put boxes of moth balls on top of the tires and make sure anywhere that looks like a mouse could get in has steel wool (aka SOS pads) in it. Fortunately for us we have not ever had a problem with mice or even having to many bugs inside. I like the shop vac idea, we vacuum our duct work every spring and fall, very interesting what comes out.
Dennis and Julie
2012 Flagstaff 30WFKSS
2006 Chevy Silverado 1500
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2013 nights reserved/camped 46/71
2014 nights reserved/camped 6/21
Dennis and Julie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
I'd suggest also looking inside the A/C unit.

I had a vintage car once and a mouse found its way inside the heater unit under the dash. I couldn't figure out where a horrid smell was coming from until I took the heater apart and found a decapitated mouse. Seems that the fan blades had done the mouse in when I turned it on, and, the heat from the heater core had roasted the carcass.....
Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
Langley, BC
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
If the vac doesn't work, you could try contacting a local HVAC contractor that does duct cleaning.
hjmiberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
Yikes - I hate those mieces to pieces.

Another way to clear the vents would be to use a cloth attached to something like a GREENLEE 438-2X FISH TAPE 25 FOOT ELECTRICAL CABLE PULLER. (just a thought) It probably would work well to get the dust and pollen out too.

2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3008 W
2007 Tundra Reg Cab 4X4 SR5 5.7L
buffalohunter is offline   Reply With Quote