Old 06-23-2019, 10:08 PM   #1

Motorhome will not start

I pulled into the gas station and tuned off the RV - When I tried to restart it I got the one chug and then nothing - I used the switch to start it using the house batteries and it started - We did this for the week long trip by using the house batteries to start it, since it was not getting juiced up running it. Now that I am home I used my battery trickler to see if it would charge and sure enough after 8 hours on it - it started up with the engine battery - So I guess I need to replace the alternator? Not much of car guy...
Thanks

Djisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:05 AM   #2

Buy a cheap digital voltmeter, set to DC Volts. check battery voltage at the battery (fully charged will be 12.6 volts or a little more) first with engine off. Then start engine and check again, it should be approx 14.2 volts engine running. If battery voltage remains at 12 +/- volts engine running alternator is not working. You did not give the age of your motor home or your battery, more info would help. Also if your starting battery was completely discharged, the battery life will be much shorter. If it's more than 2-3 years old, I would replace it. Any auto parts store or automotive shop should be able to test this for you if you are not comfortable with the process.
Fishtexx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome