Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #1

Mounting Jack-Knife Sofa

The Jack-Knife Sofa has its problems. It run across the front on the 2603. The left side diagonal metal brace was bent, which kept it from opening properly. The Sofa appears to have never been mounted correctly. I'm guessing that is how the brace got bent. The back of the Sofa lifts and causes problems with the action of folding it. I fixed the bent diagonal arm by removing the Sofa and the side cushion. The Sofa works fine now. Mounting the Sofa is now the challenge. None of the mount screws matched, The back set were already stripped, so I went out and bought matching lag 1/4". The front went in nicely. The back are not. I'm not hitting any thing but the sub-floor and the thread of the lag is too course so I have stripped the hole. I can move the Sofa to the left and drill new holes, but before I do that I'm wondering what screws you have used to mount to the sub-floor.
Thanks Kevin
2603@orchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Before you move the sofa, Lowe's sell what I call blind nuts, in the specialty hardware trays. They are brass, and have a coarse wood thread on the outside and a machine thread on the inside such as 1/4 x 20. They some in different sizes. I used 5/16 for a project. They are installed by drilling an appropriate hole in the wood, then using a wide screwdriver just screw them in. Now you have machine threads to work with. You may be able to put them in the stripped hole you have, and use machine screws to secure the couch. May need washers on the screw heads. Just something to think about.

Found on Lowe's web page. Called Insert Nut. Come in screw in and hammer in. Just search for insert nut. Can't get link to work.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #3

[QUOTE=2603@orchard;44488][FONT=Arial]The Sofa appears to have never been mounted correctly. I'm guessing that is how the brace got bent.

I think you found the problem maybe to much mounting on the sofa is how it got bent. Sorry couldnt resist
Old 05-04-2010, 04:26 AM   #4

Yeah; Someone had quite the ride when they were forced to dismount that pony. Thanks for the laugh.

That's a good idea using a blind nut, I'll look for them at Lowe's, and if I can't find them there I'll come back and look under the couch.

Thanks Kevin
Old 05-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Have you considered using:
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

and

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I used these to hold a coat rack on a hollow core exterior door. They hold great. I did have to shorten the bolt some but there was still plenty of thread.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #6

Great ideas and that's the beauty of this forum. Both ideas might work together. The Blind Nut is like the plastic molly you use in drywall for hanging stuff on the wall. difference is its metal not plastic. The outside thread is course and there is a threaded diameter going through the inside of this molly. If I can find a Blind nut that has the thread to match the crown bolt from Home Depot I might be home. My concern is the floor is particle board ? and the course thread pulls and then strips the hole as it did with the lag bolt. I'm hoping the two ideas work together, it would be the best of both worlds. The next time that ole pony "Jac-Knife Sofa" is mounted it won't be throwin the riders.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #7

I have a 2003 Salem LE 25RKS and the slideout motor and plumbing are below my jack-knife sofa. The sofa is about the most uncomfortable thing in the world to set on and I would like to replace it with something else but cannot move the box below that contains the motor and pipes. Does anyone know if you can purchase a jack-knife sofa that has the metal legs and the front that lifts for storage and remove the sofa seating area from the frame and bolt it down to replace the one that I currently have? If not I'm open to any other suggestions as we are heading to St. George Island and Topsail Hill Preserve State Parks for two weeks of vacation and I would really like to have something comfortable to sit upon.