Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #1

Mounting TV in 2008 Rockwood Signature Ultra-light

Hello all.

My Rockwood originally came with a tube-type TV that mounted on a shelf inside the entry door. The shelf is long gone as is the TV. I'd like to install a small (24") LED TV that we found recently where the shelf was.

I see lots of chatter about installing TV's in newer campers using the backing plate. Unfortunately, that's not an option for me as there was no such thing when this camper was manufactured.

The wall is hollow and maybe only 1.5-2" thick. Any ideas on how I could secure a mount to the wall? The other side of the wall is open (the bedroom) and I don't plan on installing anything there.

I installed a new awning arm and have some of those pop rivets left that spread wide on the back. They are intended to mount the awning supports on the side of a fiberglass camper which is also typically pretty thin. Do you think that four of those would be enough to mount the TV using a small RV approved bracket?
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:51 AM   #2

Fiberglass even tho it is thin has way more holding ability that the wall board used on the inside of your rig. I think what I would do is make a backing plate out of 1/4 inch plywood twice the size of the TV mounting bracket and adhere it to the wall with a good adhesive then screw the TV mounting bracket thru the backing plate and wall. this will spread the load better then just screws.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Fiberglass even tho it is thin has way more holding ability that the wall board used on the inside of your rig. I think what I would do is make a backing plate out of 1/4 inch plywood twice the size of the TV mounting bracket and adhere it to the wall with a good adhesive then screw the TV mounting bracket thru the backing plate and wall. this will spread the load better then just screws.
Thank you for your response. I'll take a look at that.

I would think a product like Liquid Nails construction adhesive would work for that.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:55 AM   #4

Some of those mounting plates are only a few inches wide by a few inches tall. The 1/4" plywood is a a good size but if it were me, I'd make it wide enough to secure to a couple of internal studs on each side in the wall which you should be able to locate using a stud finder and/or the good old knock/press method where you feel for the firm vs. spongy section of wall board.

If you can identify a wall stud on each side and get a screw through the top and bottom of the plywood into each one, you will be solid and never have to worry about it coming loose. There is a lot of torque on those wall mounts, especially if you use an articulating arm that is not fully compressed against the wall and locked, bungeed flat.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:16 AM   #5

That's guys. Getting ready to pull the camper over to the home this weekend to take a look.

I wanted to use one of those mounts that swing out a bit but was planning on securing right to the wall when in transit.

Might be a good idea to do both the Liquid Nails and try and find a stud or two to secure into.

Appreciate the help.

Tags
light, mount, rockwood