Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #1

Murphy bed owners - help! Strut mount is breaking

I have a 2012 Rockwood 2306 that I purchased from RVW in March 2012. On my trip this past weekend I noticed that the mounting point for one of the Murphy bed struts is breaking / cracking the wood cabinet where it's mounted. This is causing the whole front of that cabinet to pull away approximately 1/2" and preventing the drawer next to the bed from closing.

I'd like to open a warranty claim to either have the cabinet replaced, or the current cabinet and mounting point repaired and braced. Think I'll have any luck? I'm wondering how much of a job it would be to replace the entire cabinet / wardrobe on that side...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bed down.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	17288   Click image for larger version

Name:	bed up.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	17289  
Old 07-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #2

pg, that definately will qualify as a warranty claim. I would think it will be a pretty big job but hopefully others will have a better idea. Is there any way you could post a pic of what it looks like from the inside of your storage area? I'm curious when they mounted the struts if they missed the support mount on the other side or if it was just a bad design to begin with.

What bothers me about it is my drawer on that side has trouble closing as well.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #3

We have a murphy bed and have had trouble as well. Not with the struts but the long strut that the bed pivots on was only screwed in with one screw on each side so it broke loose from night stands. We repaired ourselves adding more screws, thicker board to screw into We fixed ourselves so that we knew it was fixed right. We removed the board behind sofa to acess strut and just have it velcroed on so we can get to "black hole" and keep an eye on strut to make sure it is staying put. So far so great!

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #4

Here are photos of ours. Don't know how they missed the 1x1

Name:	IMG_0272.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	17297

Name:	IMG_0255.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	17296

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #5

I thought I'd provide an update now that my situation has been resolved. I filed a warranty claim for this issue through RV Wholesaler's website back in August. I never heard anything back throughout the fall and winter, so I followed up again in February. This time, Brad at RVW responded to the claim and called my local Camping World on my behalf to arrange for me to drop my trailer there. He also greased the skids ahead of time directly with Forest River corporate so that they knew the claim was coming -- very impressive.

About a week after dropping off the trailer at CW I get a call saying it's done. The original plan (according to Brad) was that the entire cabinet where the strut is mounted would be replaced. However, the service guys at Camping World were able to rebuild / repair the cabinet as well as install additional bracing to prevent recurrence.

I have to say, the repair was top notch -- my wife actually thought they DID replace the cabinet! And the bracing is outstanding -- I have no doubt that the strut mounts will outlast the rest of the trailer!

Anyway, after my initial disappointment in the poor design / quality of the Murphy bed mount as well as the initial lack of response from RVW, I couldn't be happier with the end result.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Glad to hear of your success!

Have fun !

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
Always Learning

Thanks for posting an update! Glad to hear of the success!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #8

Question Same Murphy Bed Problem on my 2306

I am beginning to have the same problem. Last year I had difficulty securing the latches when the bed was stored for travel but I thought it was just a snug connection. However, when I inspected it this spring I noticed the the long hinge that the bed pivots on is starting to break away on both ends from the cross support strut. In fact it looks like the cross support strut may be a little bent. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvlcy View Post
We have a murphy bed and have had trouble as well. Not with the struts but the long strut that the bed pivots on was only screwed in with one screw on each side so it broke loose from night stands. We repaired ourselves adding more screws, thicker board to screw into We fixed ourselves so that we knew it was fixed right. We removed the board behind sofa to acess strut and just have it velcroed on so we can get to "black hole" and keep an eye on strut to make sure it is staying put. So far so great!
CanadianCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #9

My 2013 mini lite 2306 hasn't had that problem but only six weeks after I bought it the handle pulled off the wire cord that is used to pull what I'll call the "jack stand" out from under the front of the bed so it can fold up. It always pulled really hard. Told the wife "think this is going to break sometime" two weeks later it did.

Are all the Murphy bed cables hard to pull? Thinking of replacing where the cables change direction to pulleys. Wonder if that might eliminate the stress problem.
Netcomdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed