Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
Salem 26TBSS

My TT is screaming at me

When you unhooked from shore power, if your battery is failing, giving a low-voltage source to the propane detector, causing a false alarm....maybe? Does the alarm stop when you plug in shore power again?

Mike D
mdoerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #2

Right off the bat I knew it was your propane detector, but am not sure what set it off since all the gas is off. You may be a bad one, or you may have low voltage. Whatever it is, you do need to get it corrected for safety purposes. Try connecting to shore power and see what happens. It if continues to sound the alarm, you may have a bad one that needs replacing. If it stops, then you may have a weak battery. I know mine will fire off when the battery gets low.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
Jan Goldfield

The alarm started again when the housing fell open because I had not closed it tightly. The screaming continued whether I was connected to shore power or not. I hit the mute button again and it stopped.
The detector is hard wired in. I am thinking I can just unhook it and tape off the wires until I can get it repaired, if indeed that is the problem. I sure can't have that thing going off whenever it decides to set up a ruckus.
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #4

Just as a test, take a small fan and place near the detector to circulate the air around it and see if the alarm stops. If it continues to sound off when air is being circulated around it, chances are it is a bad detector.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:23 PM   #5

You dont have a carbon monoxide coming in from somewhere do you .Could be the thing is working right and warning you of a gas be detected.Should check that first just to be safe and not just assume it has failed
Old 07-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #6
Jan Goldfield

I had nothing whatsoever running or turned on except the AC.
When you guys tell me it''s a bad battery, do you mean the big battery on the tongue of the TT? Or some little battery inside the screaming propane tester. It is hard wired - no batteries that I know of.
I will try a fan, but kinda doubt that there is one speck of propane inside that trailer. Anywhere. No, the stove was not turned on. Nor the oven. Nothing.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
Salem 26TBSS

When you are disconnected from shore power, your propane detector runs off the battery (on the trailer tongue). If the battery isn't charged fully, this can cause the detector to set off a false alarm. But since you have re-connected shore power and it still is going off you either a.) have a propane leak elsewhere or b.) a bad propane detector.

Mike D
mdoerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
Jan Goldfield

I have the shore power reconnected for a second time and the screaming has stopped. Here's what I think happened. We were trying to fill/clean the grey/black water tanks. The little box that screamed is at the base of the sink where we were standing to check the water levels in the tanks. Since neither of us is too steady on our feet, the test button probably got pushed on the propane warming alarm. Until we figured out what was going on and found the mute button, it just continued to scream.
This TT business is one steep learning curve.

Thanks for helping me climb it.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Not sure where I read this but the article stated to disconnect the detector and take it outside for about 30-60 minutes or so. This allows the capacitor to discharge and will reset the detector. It's worth a try!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #10
Jan Goldfield

It sure is. If that thing ever screams at me again, putting it in a time out in fresh air might save its life.
Thanks.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondlady View Post
It sure is. If that thing ever screams at me again, putting it in a time out in fresh air might save its life.
Thanks.
Maybe hold a hammer in your other hand when you take it outside. Be sure that detector sees it.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
Jan Goldfield

It has been threatened. Maybe it listened. But I will have a hammer - a big one!