Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #1

My Wildwood tires are junk. Thanks FR!!

Getting ready to de-winterize the Wildwood the other day. So I hooked it up and backed it up close to the house for power. I decided to check the tires out and noticed that the drivers side tires on the trailer had some serious cupping on the 2nd rib on the inside. I pulled them off and the cupping is identical on both. Took them to a shop to get them looked at and balanced. The technician questioned if they properly inflated. He checked and they were dead on 50 lbs. Exactly what they are suppose to be. He recommend that I put them on the passenger side and bring the other 2 in after he balanced those. So I took them home pulled the passenger side off. Similar cupping but not as bad. I took the passenger side back to the shop. First one on the balancer wobbled badly. Technician checked the wheel to see if it was out of whack. It looked good. Apparently the tire was bad. So I had him balance the spare and stuck them back on the trailer.

Next day called my dealer and advised them of the problem. The said it was possibly bent axles. I asked them why the axles were not straight from the factory. He advised that sometimes they come that way. I asked if they were warranty items. He advised the they have tried to fight the axle vendors to replace them but they don't have any luck as the axle vendor tell them that the owner struck something on the road to bend them.

So I am going to see what the balance does for the tires. By the way they are C rated Carlisle's. Hopefully I can get a few more miles out of them before I replace them.

If there is a next time, I will take my tape measure and try and determine if the axles are bent. Haven't put a tape on mine yet, little scared to see if they are. At $150.00 per axle I really don't want to replace them.

I'm finding out this first time buyer is getting schooled real quick.

2009 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0
2009 Wildwood LE 27RBEC
brittsnbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Some tires just wear that way.
I had a boat trailer that wore the 2nd row of tread much faster
than the rest of the tire.
I replaced those tires when they got thin looking and the replacements
did not exhibit that odd wear pattern.

You have carslile tires. If you google carlisle tires you will find
many people have had bad luck with them.

Don't get too excited about "bent" axles until you've replaced
the original tires with some goodyears and see how they
hold up.
Also a good truck frame shop can align trailer axles even if they
have to bend them to do so. I'm betting you don't need it.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #3

Thanks KyDan-

As I posted, I'm new to this TT thing. Had a PUP but never the tire problem. I have learned through this forum and other's that the Carlisle's are junk. Wish I would have known that before I took delivery I would have insisted on better tires.

Thanks again for your info!!

2009 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0
2009 Wildwood LE 27RBEC
brittsnbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #4

I had similar problems with bias ply Carlisle tires on a Wanderer I used to own. I complained to Carlisle and they sent me 4 new radilals. I didn't keep that trailer long enough to be sure, but I think there was some unusual wear issues going on with those radials too. Now I have a 2005 Rockwood and just replaced the original Carlisle radials due to age. I never had a single problem with the Rockwood's set of Carlisles, so I conclude my problems with the Wanderer were probably axle alignment, not the tires. Not sure if this helps you or not, but I wouldn't be too quick to blame the tires.
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #5

Good luck with your Forest River product..... I also have a wildwood, a fifth wheel, I have had warranty work, and had to jump through hoops to get it done, the latest was the bathroom faucet leaking, it leaked into the cabinet and down into the storage compartment. When I called Forest River they said I had to take the fifth wheel to a dealer, which meant I had to tear down and travel 50+ miles just to have a faucet fixed, if I called a moble repair I had to pay the trip fee, so that is what I did, he could not repair the faucet so had to replace it, it took him 2.5 hours to pull the old faucet and get a replacement. I send the bill and the old faucet into forest river, they reimbursted me 1/2 of the cost to repair it, telling me it should not of taken 2.5 hours, also my cabinet is warped and items in the storeage area ruined.
richard615 is offline   Reply With Quote