Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2019, 04:32 PM   #1

Need advice on damage repair

After 4 years I have a wood piece that I need to repair. The orange liquid toilet treatment fell over on a trip and leaked out on the press board that divides the top and bottom of the bathroom sink.

My thoughts are cut that piece out and replace it with a solid piece of wood stained a close match.

I wanted to see if anyone has done anything similar and if there is anything I'd run into before I start cutting.

I'm hoping that the thin piece of plywood is not attached in some convoluted way that causes more damage when I try to cut that piece out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190913_171315.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	214891   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190913_171336.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	214892  
Old 09-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #2

Trying to replace a small area by cutting it out can be a real problem. Sometimes its better/easier and faster to disassemble a cabinet and replace an entire side.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #3
Part-Time Campground Host

Cut a piece of lauan to replace the entire side. You might be able to glue it on or maybe use a few staples. Stain it to match.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:18 AM   #4

Try just sanding it down .
Detroitdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Trying to replace a small area by cutting it out can be a real problem. Sometimes its better/easier and faster to disassemble a cabinet and replace an entire side.

I'll look into that. I'm going to remove the bottom panel to get a better look once it cools down in the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
Cut a piece of lauan to replace the entire side. You might be able to glue it on or maybe use a few staples. Stain it to match.

I should have taken a picture of the entire cabinet. The piece posted is the divider (front) piece when you open the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdeb View Post
Try just sanding it down .

I should have mentioned, because it may not be easy to see in the picture. The press board is swollen and has become very brittle.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #6
Site Team

I would replace the entire side. The pressed board is very swollen and it is very likely that the salts from the orange liquid are embedded in the wood and as such will continue to attract moisture and swell. Covering it may or may not work as future swelling could cause the laminate piece to separate in that area. On a preemptive note, I keep all liquid containers in out TT in zip lock bags to try to prevent this.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:57 AM   #7

Just sand it with a power sander n repaint . No one will see it . Cheaper way of fixing it .
Old 09-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdeb View Post
Just sand it with a power sander n repaint . No one will see it . Cheaper way of fixing it .
You'll destroy the press board and end up rebuilding the entire cabinet. You can't sand swollen press board.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:51 AM   #9

Have you ever try to sand press board before?
Old 09-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #10

replace the entire bathroom

Detroit Deb, I have just removed my bathroom and replaced the vanity, and med cabinet with real furniture made of solid material. You will find that the way the cabinet is built is the face frames are put in place, and the panels are then shot in place. The material that is used is junk and is not worth saving. If you are not skilled in this area get a woodworker to help you out to remove the entire panel and replace with a solid piece of material. If you have questions on how to do this private message me and I can give you what you are up against.
I just spent 1 month in Elkhart area and have toured many of the factories. They are all built very similar. What is different is the finish work. It is sad that a 50,000 coach is built similar to a 1,000,000 dollar coach. It is what it is so make it your own, and repair it right with good material as you go.
Titan 50 gal fuel tank
Air Lift 7500 lb bags
changing it up a bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by changing it up a bit View Post
Detroit Deb, I have just removed my bathroom and replaced the vanity, and med cabinet with real furniture made of solid material. You will find that the way the cabinet is built is the face frames are put in place, and the panels are then shot in place. The material that is used is junk and is not worth saving. If you are not skilled in this area get a woodworker to help you out to remove the entire panel and replace with a solid piece of material. If you have questions on how to do this private message me and I can give you what you are up against.

I just spent 1 month in Elkhart area and have toured many of the factories. They are all built very similar. What is different is the finish work. It is sad that a 50,000 coach is built similar to a 1,000,000 dollar coach. It is what it is so make it your own, and repair it right with good material as you go.

Glad you got it fix

Tags
repair