Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #1

Need help connecting cable

Up to this point, we have used only the antenna. We don't get any over the air reception here, so I broke down and bought a cable to connect to the park's cable. I plugged it into the cable connection on the pedestal, then the other end to the cable input on the back of the rig. Inside, I unplugged the antenna cord fromt the RF input and plugged in what I assume is the cable cord (it was the only other cord there.) I then went to the menu, switched from antenna to cable input and tried scanning for channels. Nothing found. In reading posts on here, it seems there is supposed to be a wall mounted power amplifier that I need to turn off, but I can't find anything like that in my rig. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Diana
dmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #2

Normally you would have one of the two configurations...

1) A Cable-in outside connector and a wall-plate near the TV w/ a F-type connector and small push-type switch with a light (this is the amplifier/input selector). Light on amp is on w/ aerial antenna, light off it's using the outside cable source.

2) You could have everything above but you also have a SAT-TV connection outside and a 2nd connection coax connection near the TV. This is a direct path cable that would hook up to your satellite receiver box.

You should be able to hookup the cable feed outside, turn off the amp (no light), and connect the TV to the wall plate. (in theory)

Here is a pic of a common amp/switcher...
brianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
Commercial Member

What RV do you have? I'm with Class C's, and you never unhook the cable that goes to the TV. There is a switch box, that changes it from AIR to Cable on the same coax.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #4

Brian - The only wall plate near my tv is a power outlet. I can't find an amplifier/input selector plate anywhere.

bclemens - I've got a Sanpiper 35loft fifth wheel. I don't see any kind of switch box.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #5

Yes! I found the amplifier/input selector! It's in the master bedroom, on the ceiling above the dresser. I pressed the button, but still couldn't get any channels. Switched back to the black cable (apparently the gray one is satellite) and am finding channles now. Thanks for your help guys.
Diana
Old 05-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #6

We picked up the stations, but they're all fuzzy, with no sound. More detective work ahead.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

This might help.
Note that digital stations are directional and you need to point the antenna at the transmission TOWER to get good reception.

This web site will give you a compass heading and a "visual" of where to point the batwing. The batwing should point to the tower like an airplane. The white amp is the cockpit and the wings should be 90 degrees to the direction to the tower.

TOWER

__/-\__
Address
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Protractor used to align TV antenna.pdf (219.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: pdf Sensar Antenna and Amp Plate.pdf (1.06 MB, 52 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote