Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
Always Learning

Need mobile RV tech in Williamsburg, VA

Arriving at camp, I found that I didn't properly winterize the toilets and have a leaking water valve on one of the two toilets. I don't have a water shut off at the toilet, so we have no water inside right now. I tried getting a multi-turn valve to put into its place, but it is leaking at the pex to NPT threaded connection when I put it into place.

Secondly, I have a strong smell of propane outside under/around the 1/2 bath. My only guess it's where the propane is coming into the camper for the fridge and stove.

I was only off of work today to get the camper here and have already spent hours fighting the toilet. I need to throw in the towel and hire help.

So- anyone with connections to a mobile RV tech in Williamsburg, please send me details.

Doug
Old 04-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Doug man that isnt any fun
I hope someone can get you fixed up !

Keeps us updated!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #3

Sorry to hear of the problems. I don't know any techs in Williamsburg. I did want to mention that I've had great luck with shark bite fittings from Home Depot. You can connect PEX to them without the crimping tool and there are a lot of combinations and valves. If you don't find a tech it might help you at least get water until you do.

Hope the trip gets better!
Flagstaffer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #4

Sorry to hear about that Doug. Don't know of any techs at all, but I think you purchased your QBOK in the last year. Think you might be able to leverage CoachNet at all? I'm not sure what all is included in your free year, but it is worth a shot. Worse case scenario, maybe that can get you to a tech.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #5

Just a suggestion, but if anyone knows of mobile RV techs in Williamsburg, VA it would probably be American Heritage RV Park, one of the best in the area. Give them a call, 888-530-2267 or local 757-566-2133, I'm sure they could recommend someone.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
Always Learning

We're at the Thousand Trails Williamsburg campground (which is literally all but on top of the highway :-(). I'm going to ask at the office this morning and then I'll call over top American Heritage RV Park (thanks for the tip) and finally I'll check the Internet a bit.

I don't recall seeing anything for CoachNet when I went thru my paperwork. And, I've been gambling with my trips so far and haven't gotten an emergency roadside assistance plan yet.

We'll see...
Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Doug,
http://m.yp.com/williamsburg-va/rv-repair
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
Always Learning

Thanks Ron- I think there's also a RV Service Reviews site that I was going to look for.

QCC- you're right, I have 1 year of CoachNet. I'll check them out.

Ugh- I'm supposed to be working today!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
Always Learning

Ok, the RV Park had a few cards and the manager lady mentioned one in particular as we were looking at business cards on the bulletin board.

Called and left a message... The saga continues.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
Always Learning

I'll admit- the fireplace option would be nice right now.

That and I can see the beauty and genius behind the CheapHeat system, even if it's a little expensive!
Old 04-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
Always Learning

A happy ending.

Bob from Bob's Mobile RV Service was recommended by the manager here at the campground. Unfortunately, Bob couldn't make it out until tomorrow. I give him a heck of a lot of credit for being very responsive to voice messages and getting back to me (we swapped calls a couple of times as I figured out who could come out today). He was very upstanding in my dealings with him. Good communication is paramount to me and he was on it.

My wife went to Scenic View RV in Williamsburg to buy a new water valve so we could, at least, get water running inside the camper. As they talked, he ended up offering that he (who is apparently the owner) could possibly come out later in the day. He called her about an hour later and said he could be here in 30-45 minutes.

He showed up pretty promptly and immediately went to checking the propane tanks and fittings around them. Turns out that I was completely out of propane (pretty surprising as we filled these tanks in Florida on our last trip last year (though, it was cold at night and we ran the furnace a good bit and because we were on a 30amp site, we also ran the water heater on gas). Guess I need to learn how much propane we're going through. While I went and got one of the two propane tanks filled, he went about installing the new water valve into the toilet. Poor guy sat around for a bit after finishing the toilet, waiting for me to return with propane.

Getting back with propane - he helped hook it up and went to town, checking all of the fittings. No signs of leaks and no smell now. It must have just been the death throws of running out of propane.

AND- our bill was *way* less than we expected. I asked him to double-check it, and he said it was good.

To recap:
Bob's Mobile RV Service = good communication but scheduling didn't work
Scenic View RV = AWESOME
Old 04-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #12

Glad to hear of your happy ending Doug!
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #13

Good mobile techs are worth their weight in gold when you are on a trip and in a jam! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Good mobile techs are worth their weight in gold when you are on a trip and in a jam! Youroo!!
I'm just sad we're 5 hours away from home - or I'd have a new regular service company!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Doug, glad you got everything fixed and have a good week. It sure is frustrating when you think everything is going good and it turns out like what happened to you. Life is good regardless as long as your and yours are all healthy.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Doug, glad you got everything fixed and have a good week. It sure is frustrating when you think everything is going good and it turns out like what happened to you. Life is good regardless as long as your and yours are all healthy.
So true- but it's done and over with and I'll definitely properly winterize the toilet next year!