Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #1

Need Some Help With Major Repairs

The weather will be breaking soon and i need to make repaires to the in side walls of my camper.

I have posted 3 pic, the first two pic are on the very back wall, the second pic is over top of the slide out.

The bubbles develop on the back wall about two years ago and the bubbles over the slide out happen just last Summer. I have inspected the exterior walls and roof for any leaks and damage and not able to find anything at this time. The slide out has a topper over it and there is no holes or damage to that as well.

I know i need to get to the root of the problem, but for now i need some ideas as to how to make repaires to the walls. I have some ideas myself but would like to hear from others.

The camper is a 2006 8314ss, if anyone has had this problem and found a way to make repairs i would appreciate hearing from you.
I know i could take it to the dealer and spend thousands of dollars to replace the walls but the camper is not worth that. We bought the camper new and own it out right and to trade it in as is, i would have to pay the dealer to take it off of my hands. We like the floor plan and want to keep it as a second way to camp. Last Summer we bought a log loft cabin on a seasonal site and have enjoyed it, and i removed my camper from our seasonal site and park it in the driveway and it has not moved, so now that Spring is coming i would like to use it for other camping adventures. Any help would be appreciated....Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bubbles.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	4428   Click image for larger version

Name:	bubbles open.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	4429  
Attached Images

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
rhg
RHGMass

Similar issue in a Fleetwood TT

I had a similar issue on one wall in a Fleetwood TT. It may not have been as extensive as you have. At the time it occurred I thought someone had sprayed something (aerosol like hairspray) that got onto the vinyl to cause the bubbles. When I noticed it I tried to smooth out the bubbles using a wallpaper edge roller. It actually did not do a bad job. The problem occurred several years ago. It never got worse. The wall board still feels solid so I never thought it was a leak behind the walls. I know you were asking for a reason why it occurs, that I do not know 100%, but I thought I would provide my input for a similar situation
rhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:44 PM   #3

Wade I wish that I could help, but this is a problem I haven't tackled before so I have no idea. Maybe rhg's suggestion will work for you. I know this problem has been weighing heavy on your mind for a long time, so best of luck to you.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:12 AM   #4

This has been on my mine since last July when i pulled it of of the seasonal site. The bubbles are hard and will not press down, i am thinking that i may have cut them out and smooth down the wall surface, but i still have to fine out the cause and that is what is driving me crazy.

I may open the camper up this week end we are looking at 60 degrees and inspect the walls to see if thinks are worse.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:16 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

He has a water leak; either the roof or a wall penetration.
That is black mold behind the wall paper.
This is a dealer or manufacturer level repair. Sorry.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
He has a water leak; either the roof or a wall penetration.
That is black mold behind the wall paper.
This is a dealer or manufacturer level repair. Sorry.
Have to agree with Lou. If you could find the source of the leak and correct it then you have to eliminate the mold currently there. Bleach will kill it on the surface but it may well be within the wall where the only way to get rid of it is to replace the wall paneling & insulation.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #7

Ya, Charlie and herk you both are right this is a major issue. This is one of those thing that once you see it, it's too late the damage is done. Now i need to see what is happening over the slide out under the wall paper.
Thank for your input.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #8

Ok, after 20 years of construction and dealing with water leaks and mold, I don't care what website or Betty Crocker column or whatever says that bleach kills mold, It's a lie! Bleach only takes away the stain that mold causes and the mold will return. You must use at least a 50/50 mix of bleach and vinegar. If the stain is going to be covered by something I would use 100% vinegar. This information needs to be spread around because we have went into homes and commercial buildings were kids and adults have become deathly ill from black mold that was treated with bleach but returned and nobody knew it until it was too late. You can use the bleach but please for your own safety add some vinegar too it.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

I have no doubt that bleach alone won't get rid of a black mold infestation; but I am always hesitant when I hear anyone suggest mixing Sodium Hypochlorate with any other chemical. The Chlorine in hypochlorates can be easily released in large (deadly) amounts with the wrong mix.

While I do not know off the top of my head if Acetic Acid (Vinegar) will do it; I do know that mixing Bleach and Drano (Sodium Hydroxide and Aluminum powder) or Sani-flush (Sodium MetaBisulfite) will.

If you try this home brew; be VERY WELL ventilated and leave immediately if strong chlorine smell results when mixing the two chemicals. Also be very careful of splashes as bleach will burn or blind you.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
camping

I've been told to use a product called Microban, it was recommended to me by a freind who is in the restoration business. I had a little mold in the basement and it worked great. its available from Jon-Don, they will ship to you. smells a lot better than bleach.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #11

I am at work right now so I don't have time to post all the links to universities that have done extensive studies on mold. There is absolutely no need to mix any chemicals if you don't feel comfortable. Use 4 parts water to one part white vinegar. It is the number one way to KILL mold! It has been proven time and time again. It is also in city codes as the only way allowed to treat mold.

Bleach will only help with the stain!

Bing
Old 02-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #12

I found this on the web.

HOW TO ELIMANATE BLACK MOLD eHOW.com
Old 02-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #13

This states how OSHA has banned the use of bleach to kill mold because it doesn't work.
Chlorine Bleach Effects

Here is one from the EPA
Does Bleach Kill Mold? || According to the EPA – “Biocides (like chlorine bleach) are toxic to humans as well as mold!

Good one on how to clean up mold with detergent and vinegar
Mold in Basement

Mold and other things you can do with vinegar
Vinegar Is a Nontoxic Cleaner: Clean With Vinegar To Reduce And Eliminate Household Pollution
Old 02-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #14

Rockwood06, I would take a sharp pocket knife and put a small slit in one of the worst ones and look under it and see if it is black underneath. If it is, it most likely a water leak somewhere. If not, it may be a reaction to some cleaning agent of maybe a wasp spray that was inadvertently sprayed on it....Frank
frank 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank 1 View Post
Rockwood06, I would take a sharp pocket knife and put a small slit in one of the worst ones and look under it and see if it is black underneath. If it is, it most likely a water leak somewhere. If not, it may be a reaction to some cleaning agent of maybe a wasp spray that was inadvertently sprayed on it....Frank
I will tell you when i noticed the large bubbles on the wall over the slide out. Last July when we went to Myrtle Beach, the camper was fine except for the bubbles on the back wall. Once i got into our site and got everything set up it was time to open the slide out....well the slide out would not open all the way, it stop 6" shy from openning completely, i tried to get RV service to come to my camper but no one was able to help me they were just too busy, so we lived with the slide out like that for two weeks at the beach.

We had never notice any thing wrong during the time we were there. Once we returned home the camper went to the dealers to find out what was wrong, after the problem was fix we took the camper back to our seasonal site in Hershey PA....at this time all was still good. The next weekend when we returned to the camper there they were, these big bumbs staring right at me There was nothing sprayed on the walls.

I plan on opening one of those bad boys up some time this weekend.

Thanks for your input.