Old 10-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #1

Need tires - upgrade to 16"?

I could have sworn I saw a sticky here somewhere on this subject, but my searches came up empty. I'm going to need 4 new tires for my FW, which currently has 6lug 15" wheels on it. However, searching around, there are very few choices in a D or E load range 15" tire. So I was wondering if I move up to a 16" rim, can I then look at putting on a E range truck tire in approximately the same profile? Do I absolutely 'need' to have a tire specifically made for a trailer? With all the threads recently discussing blow-outs, I really want to make the proper choice on this before our trip out to PEI next spring.

TIA.

----------------------------------------
DageonYar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I would be very hesitant with this mod.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #3

I went with a 10-ply Maxis, not sure what the load rating was, I just know it was a lot more than the weight called for. You want to stay with trailer tires, not truck tires. Good luck.

2007 Chevy 2500HD 'Classic' with the Duramax engine.

Converting a 1956 GMC PD4501 Scenicruiser, ex Greyhound into a motor home.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I replaced my tires with Goodyear Marathons. They are ST tires and up gunned them to D range from C. Remember your rims must be rated for the higher pressures if you inflate the tires to their maximum.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 10-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #5

First off. Going plus will raise the trailer. Mileage may change. But RV people wouldn't be RV people if we cared too much about the overhead

I also thought about doing this once and decided not to - just because it would be aerodynamically higher (higher profile), and harder to reach the first step. The first step was already tricky for the kids and didn't want to challenge them more. Also, you might need an adjustment at your shank to level the tow after the switch. But that would be easy to fix.

As for the benefit: well you get .5" more clearance. Hmmm. I like the "look" though. Especially with nice aluminum rims, chrome lugs, trim ring. yup. You wll increase your safety margin and never come close to overloading the wheels (but limit is unchanged for axles, spindle, brakes, studs, etc)- tire life may increase and tire temps will not be any problem you'll see. Unless you're speeding.

As for the tire discussion: You stated you were shopping for D or E rated 15" tires - trailer tires already have appropriate sidewall configuration for trailer use. Max load on wheels smaller than 16 (16.5??) CANT use higher rated tires because the wheel would fail. So why manufacture a tire that is rated higher than a wheel could carry anyway. Anthing heavier would be on larger assemblies, right? The wheel itself couldn't take it. I know you don't mean to overload your current 15's, I was just discussing why one cant find E tires for 14" rims. None being manufactured. I am surprised you found ANY E rated tires for 15" wheels. There are 16" (16.5"?) wheels - and tires to go with them. I would confine my shopping decisions to those, personally.

"But, I am not a real doctor. I have a degree in science."

Please reply later any share what you worked out.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopuppy View Post
First off. Going plus will raise the trailer. Mileage may change. But RV people wouldn't be RV people if we cared too much about the overhead
Not true. Wheel size has nothing to do with the tire rolling diameter. 15" or 16" rim makes no difference, you simply buy the right size tire you need to maintain the correct rolling diameter. What changes is the height of the sidewall.

Mileage would also not change as it is a trailer not a car. When changing the outter diameter of a tire on a car it in effect changes the differential gear ratio that is why mileage changes. On a trailer it would make no difference.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Sorry Turbopuppy

There are several other items in your post that are not correct as well.

There are many threads here about trailer tire's; pressures; and manufacturer guidlines that contradict your statements.

I attached excellent sources for tire data:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trailer_Tire_load_and_pressures.pdf (142.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: pdf trailer_tire_service_guide.pdf (883.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: pdf rv_inflation[1].pdf (86.7 KB, 15 views)

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 10-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #8

OK then. It was just a guess, I guess. Thanks alot, "super moderator"
Old 10-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #9

Well, I'm still in 'research mode' for the time being. Not in too much of a rush. Don't need the tires until spring now. I have been poking around the local RV dealership and did notice many of the new 5'ers are sitting on LTs. Makes me wonder if the builders are putting LTs on now, it should be fine no? I have found very few 15" STs available, and they all appear to be made in China... probably better to run on bicycle tires in that case
----------------------------------------
DageonYar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #10

LT tires are very common on large fivers. Easier to find, more reliable, more choices. Other than the added cost for wheels there is really no negatives. Do a web search, there are several companies that have package at attractive prices. Bottom line, no more junk ST tires to worry about.