Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 05:52 PM   #1

New found appreciation.

After driving 3500km one way, to get to Disney, I had a change of heart...

There were some pretty bad roads on the way down.
We expect perfection, or close to it.
For the least amount of money possible.
What we expect from a manufacturer may be too much?
The abuse that these units take is unreal. It’s no wonder they have issues. They build them better, then they are going to weigh twice as much, and cost 3 times more.

What do we expect???

I guess the whole point, I’ve come to cut them some more slack. Understand things from their side.

Lol... 35 hours to think on the road..
Old 07-26-2017, 04:42 PM   #2

35 hour earthquake in hurricane force winds....not ideal for ANY home!! I only travel a couple hours from home and I am surprised nothing has fallen apart on my trailer from some of the terrible roads.
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #3

Good point.
Whitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:50 AM   #4

Quote:
35 hour earthquake in hurricane force winds....not ideal for ANY home!!
YUP!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:15 AM   #5

Some roads in the U.S. are quite smooth, others - not so much. We were headed to Rapid City and Mt. Rushmore last September and hit some really rough road crossing between Dalhart TX and Colorado State line. We had the fridge running on LP gas after stopping in Dalhart for fuel and DW had her heavy cream for her morning coffee in the fridge. Man that was a rough road!! We stayed in Limon CO that night and when we got up and had our morning coffee DW tried to pour her cream. Nothing came out! So I held the cream upside down over the coffee and finally some solidified stuff came out. It was butter! The danged rough road had churned the heavy cream into sweet butter!! We used it for our toast the next morning in Rapid City!!

The road back was just as rough across that stretch and we got some more butter for our stay in Eagle Nest NM! So I guess there can be some good laughs to come out rough roads.

Hey Oklahoma! With all the oil and gas revenues y'all get, how about fixing the roads in the OK Panhandle!?!?
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:26 AM   #6

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Managing Expectations

( This is a little long winded, skip to the bold way at the bottom to just hit the positive closing note. )

... Have bit our tongues a few times in the past, but this seems "about" the right place to say IT ...

The RV's that we purchase today are the product of an industry that we as customers, have supported and enabled. The manufacturers produce what we appear to be willing to purchase - price points, features, specifications - and on and on.

As the previous posters have so well indicated, we as customers seem to come at these big toys with all the expectations in the world, and then the first thing we do is bounce them down the road - reckon, they actually get bounced down the road before we even take delivery.

Now, factor in the reality of construction - materials cost - parts suppliers - component manufacturers - all of which have to hit a price point that the customer base will swallow.

For those still working, imagine what happens when some end user customer calls the company you work for, and has a "support" issue. Yeah, bet the department of administrative bureaucracy is all over that. For those past work life, think back .... For those in or from the "public" sector ... yeah, the taxpayers just revel in how much satisfaction they get for each and every one of their hard-earned dollars that disappear into governmentium.

WHERE are the manufacturers and dealers to go, for that endless supply of cheap but comprehensively talented and trained labor ?? It takes FIVE Years to become a RVIA "Certified" technician - and one would have to put those five years in at some manufacturer or dealer. Heck, do we even see late-night commercials for those study-at-home college courses to become a Recreational Vehicle Technician ?? We have all seen plenty of threads on the "horrors" of the manufacturing lines, and the quality control problems with supplier-built components.

It SHOULD make sense that the real high-end products should be really slick and polished and good-to-go ... if you go to the Cadillac or Mercedez-Benz Dealer, you expect the total experience ... but if you buy a Yugo from CheapCars.com, well - it is likely that concierge service is not part of the deal.

As the "retail - dealership" experience goes ... there are some awesome dealers out there, and some horrible ones, and all sorts in-between. If anything, we are fortunate to be charging through the second decade of the twenty-first century, and with the internet and social media and every one of us carrying so much computer and communications horsepower in our hip pocket that Spock and Scottie would cry collectively, there is no reason we can't be well informed consumers.

An old "business maxim" went something like, "Speed - Quality - Price. Pick any TWO."

Our own rig is NOT the same as our previous TC that was built twenty-one years earlier. Amazingly, it has pretty much the same complement of appliances - Almost identical, albeit newer - Range/Oven, Fridge, Water Heater, Water Pump, Microwave, Converter ... yet a 24-foot TT has an unloaded weight barely 1000 Lbs. heaver than the 11.5-foot TC from two decades earlier. And yes, it completely defies the mind, that thirty and forty years ago, people were hauling around rigs that were stupid heavy with tow vehicles utterly inferior to what we are pulling with today.

There is no excuse for the manufacturers and dealers not appreciating that they have customers at all. In the "long" run - these things work themselves out. Simple economics.

For those of us out here "doing it" ... will share a simple thought that has gotten us through a lot of adventures:

"For maximum enjoyment, anticipate having a great time."

( But maybe also, be sure to have that darn #2 square driver ready. )

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:32 AM   #7

*Robertson....
Old 08-21-2017, 07:35 PM   #8
Bene Gesserit Rule

Well said, I suppose.

We bought an imported 10m (34 foot) Heritage Glen 28RLT. These units are built mainly for the USA market, for use on roads that are a lot bigger, wider, smoother than most in Australia (except for those in the far north and west of OZ). Consequently, the frame is pretty light weight, yet still reasonably rigid, I guess.

The chap I bought our van from (in Oz) imports a few at a time but (so he tells us) has the manufacturer upgrade the frame from 3mm to 5mm square tubular steal and ensures every corner has a 5mm plate gusset welded in. Some we can see, many we cannot because they are behind panels. All this to ensure he doesn't get swamped with buyer warranty issues due to the frames buckling and making a mess of things inside.

The extra expense to him pays dividends in the long run, he rarely has warranty problems due to frame buckling, doors falling off, fittings breaking away, etc.

We have had our problems of course, but only one created by a manufacturing defect and which should have been fixed by the dealer under warranty. He would not fix it, not even consider it, said it was my fault and the whole thing is more expensive than the $4500 replacement stainless steel tank to chase.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:42 AM   #9

I generally agree that the manufacturers do a decent job of matching quality with price point. I think my biggest disappointment is the lack of support information. The manual is totally generic---no wiring diagram, no pipe routing nor connection diagrams, no supplier info for parts that commonly need repair (faucets, shower doors, lights, etc). It would great to have a website where we could access additional info when parts need to be repaired or replaced.

There is also a lack of normal operating info. For example, I have no information on how to use the winterizing station. There is nothing about max water pressure when hooked up to city water. Fortunately, all of you help answer these questions, but the manual should address these issues. (As a side note, the dealer walk-thru was totally inadequate.)
Dryfly46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:07 AM   #10

Yes, we got a whole packet of manuals and different instructions, even one the manufacturer put together but are still struggling with certain things. They should do a better job with the manual for the over all trailer. I understand the separate for oven, microwave, fridge, etc...
calhounsl is offline   Reply With Quote