Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2017, 11:51 PM   #1

New Furniture Covers Arrived

The new covers for my dinette, captains chairs and sleeper sofa have arrived from FR. The fabric used is 100% Urethane so the bonded product is gone.

Color is extremely close. The difference is the cream colored parts are now gone. The hatched stitching is still there. I have replaced the zippered cushions already. I will begin on the rest this week and will document the process for the sofa, other parts of the dinette and the captains chairs.

You can see in the two photos what the old and new look like. The back cushions for the sofa have been replaced as well as the backs and seats for the dinette. The peeling is evident on the seat cushions. The dinette cushions were almost bald before replacing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UpholsteryRepair - 1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	157304   Click image for larger version

Name:	UpholsteryRepair - 2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	157305  
Old 12-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #2

Amazed manufacturers are still standing by the use of this “ bonded leather “ material . It’s absolutely impossible to prevent peeling! We had a living room set that peeled after 2 years of minimal use. Thankfully the furniture store stood behind the product and gave us 100% store credit towards new furniture... we made sure we got 100% leather this time and have had zero issues
Blessedcple99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:45 PM   #3

The new material is not a bonded leather product. It should hold up much better that the previous.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalich View Post
The new material is not a bonded leather product. It should hold up much better that the previous.
I completely missed that part in your original comment. That’s certainly good to hear ! Hopefully you’ll enjoy many years of trouble free use out of the new material
Blessedcple99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #5

Seat Cover Replacement

Good job with the replacement covers with the couch. Both my captain chairs also have peeled. Reupholstering quotes have been $1300 to $1900 to replace. Are you peeling off the original skins or just covering over the old? Can these be ordered directly from Forest River or is it required to go through a dealer?
FarGra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:03 PM   #6

Same thing happened to us in our PrimeTime with Lane furniture. Would like to know if they can be ordered directly from the manufacturer of the covers
Old 12-02-2017, 03:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessedcple99 View Post
Amazed manufacturers are still standing by the use of this “ bonded leather “ material . It’s absolutely impossible to prevent peeling! We had a living room set that peeled after 2 years of minimal use. Thankfully the furniture store stood behind the product and gave us 100% store credit towards new furniture... we made sure we got 100% leather this time and have had zero issues
I worked in a factory that makes this material. FR is buying cheap. The better stuff is cooked (bonded) to the fabric. The best stuff has a type of clear coat on top. All of it is tested with 100,000s of use cycles and UV exposure many times greater than the sun on a clear day. And made in the USA, hence the higher cost!
RobnCari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:39 PM   #8

Got some Stuff Completed

I completed the sofa and one of the captains chairs so far. Both chairs looked like the first picture. Then naked and afraid, finally re-clothed. Now that I know how to remove the arms, the second chair should take about 2 hrs total. The captains chairs do require a few hog rings for the installation. The arms on these chairs are removed by having the arm in the up position, pushing in real hard whilst twisting the arm to the 9 '0"clock position and lifting (the arm in the down position is 3 o"clock).

Last piece I'll have to do is the end against the wall of the dinette. That will require the removal of the dinette. Shouldn't be too tough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CaptChair - 2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	157574   Click image for larger version

Name:	CaptChair - 1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	157575   Click image for larger version

Name:	CaptChair - 3.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	157576  
Old 12-02-2017, 07:01 PM   #9

Same thing happened in our Prime Time Crusader. I had one seat back reupholstered at my expense, then the rest of the theater seat started peeling as well as the sofa. I turned everything in to PT and they are passing it on to Lane. Waiting to see what happens. With the cap fade and now the furniture issues - geeez. This unit is getting expensive. New tires to replace the Towmax, new mattress to replace the inferior one that came with it. Plus a lot of little things which I expect and do not mind. It's the big stuff that makes it so unpleasant.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:25 AM   #10

Please make a note and tell me what is happening. I would have paid more for better tires and furniture
Old 12-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #11

who is paying for all your new covers? I have similar problem with my MH.
fedexflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedexflyer View Post
who is paying for all your new covers? I have similar problem with my MH.
I did. I'm the second owner so FR sold them at cost. $700 total. Each captains chair was $125 (a deal as generic cloth cover is $60+), the complete dinette was $300 and the complete sofa $200
Old 12-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #13

new furniture covers

my 2013 sunseeker 3120ds interior is also peeling bad, no help from FR how did you get your replacment interior thanks
skyjes1927 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, fabric, peeling, upholstery