Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2008, 02:19 AM   #1

new mh...have several questions

We took the plunge and bought a Lexington a month ago and so far are pretty happy. We have taken 2 short trips and accruing our list of "issues" to take in to the dealer--so far mostly minor ( including concertone which I knew to expect )..I do have 2 questions that I'm not sure how to rememdy as they may just be our lack of understanding..
First, there is an installed ( small) inverter and the TV is plugged in to the outlet "governed" by this..I understand that this is so we can use the TV if we decide to stop and use it without shore power or generator. This is where it gets a little wierd...We have to turn the insertor switch to "on" even when on shore power and naturally it is in a very awkward place ( under the car seat)and then we were told we had to turn it off after each use to not drain the battery..it is a pain to reach( crawl) under the seat for the switch...can this be left on or not...does it drain the batteries even if tv is off ??The dealer said turn it off every time.
Secondly, on draining the tanks it seems that some "water" stays in the drain pipe so when it is opened to put the hose back on we get one quick(yucky) gush of water before we get the hose on. What does anyone else do or is the angle of the drain pipe not steep enough?
Thanks for the help!
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:21 AM   #2

Welcome to FRF!

I can't help with the invertor...

But the issue with the water in the drain pipe sounds like there might be a bit of trash or something keeping one of your valves from sealing. This happened on my 5'er when I got it. One of them would leak about a gallon in a 12 hour period. The way I found which valve was to drain all tanks completely and one at a time to put some water in one of the tanks and check it in the morning. Turns out it was my black tank valve leaking. So I completely drained the tank again and pulled the valve out (4 nuts and bolts, pretty easy). There was a piece of foam insulation stuck in the valve causing a small leak. I cleared the trash, put it back together and all was and still is well in the world.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
Site Team

The inverter will draw some power even when idling (nothing running on it). It's not much and depending on how long you're going to be sitting not charging the batteries you may not have to shut it off. A day or two probably wouldn't run your batteries down but a week might. Driving should charge your batteries so it wouldn't be an issue if you were moving.You could look into having a remote switch installed to turn it off. Ask your dealer about what it would take to do it.

The drain pipe sounds like it could be a valve leaking a bit as mentioned earlier or it could be the drain line not sloped enough. I had that problem with mine and once I changed the slope just a few degrees it would drain completely. That's another thing to bring to your dealers attention since you're planning to take it back for other issues.