Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #1

new owner

Hi picked up my first motor home yesterday..coachmen 35ds mirada. I have a few questions im hoping I can get some help with. First the dealer said we can swiviel our captain chairs all the way around to view tv in the living. we can not do that they only go 3/4 the way around because of seatbelts and also the steering wheel. 2nd... when I put the key in and turn it and not pump the gas there is this funny whinning noise, is this normal? lastly, when I was packing the unit I put the 2 air conditioners on and I could smell gas the whole time..new to generators and thought maybe im doing something wrong--if someone could explain generator workings that would be great, does the generator recharge the batteries also?. oh one more question..sorry..I want to use the battery disconnect but when i turn it to off and close the door now the steps wont retract is there something else to do to make them retract? Thank you so much in advance!!
shpstw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #2

I sounds like you have learned the first lesson of buying RVs: Dealers don't know squat!

On most gas rigs you cannot turn the captains chairs all the way around but it depends on several factors. I have never been able to turn the drivers seat in any motorhome around 180 degrees only 90 degrees. Our passenger chair can be turned 180 degrees to face the living room.

The whining you hear is more than likely the electric brake booster which provides power brakes when the engine isn't running, that is if you have the Ford F53 chassis, I can't tell you what it is if its the Workhorse chassis.

The generator supplies power to the rig as if you are plugged into power. Some RVs have an automatic transfer switch to switch to the generator when it it running, others require you to plug your shore power cord into an outlet in the power compartment which is wired to the generator. The generator supplies power to the Converter/charger which supplies 12volts to your systems and charges the batteries.

On some motorhomes the steps are connected directly to the battery such as with our Georgetown so that the steps work even if the battery disconnect is turned off. Others aren't and so they don't work when the disconnect is turned off. If you plan to store your motorhome with the steps out then open the door, turn off the disconnect and then exit and close the door, they will stay out. If you want the steps to go away then close the door, let the steps retract and then disconnect the battery and step out, they will stay up. Watch out for the first step though, it is as they say "a doozie"

Welcome to the forums. Congrats on the new rig.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #3

Hello, shpstw.

Welcome to FRF.

Plaese enjoy the forums.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:11 AM   #4

congratz on your new rig.i had the same question on my seats only the passanger seat swivels 180, the sound is a nwj said the power brake pump when the engine is running it is boosted by the power steering pump when when no engine power the elecpump takes over
good luuck and great travels
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #5

Also a new owner

First let me say thanks to everyone who take time to make these forums the invaluable tool they are to all of us. Especially myself who, like shpstw, is a new owner.

Wejust bought a 2011 Georgetown 350TS a few weeks ago. On our first trip taking it from Cincinatti to Tampa, there was water occasionally dripping from under the dash on passenger side. It is not constant but does so regularly. This happened after some rain which caused some worry. However, it kept doing it long after the rain stopped. I thought it might be condensation dripping from the AC ducts that vent through the dash. I can feel considerable moisture there ( both sides ). I was wondering if this is "normal" or if any other owners have had this issue. All in all though, my wife and I simply love our new rig.

Thanks again to all,
Ross
RosCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
congratz on your new rig.i had the same question on my seats only the passanger seat swivels 180, the sound is a nwj said the power brake pump when the engine is running it is boosted by the power steering pump when when no engine power the elecpump takes over
good luuck and great travels
brianj
Ross see my above quote and the same best regards to you and mrs ross
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #7

Thanks tncruiser, the seat issue I can confirm also. Only the PS swivels 180. It is still being touted by FR and many dealers the the DS swivels 180 but it does not.

Happy and safe travels!
Ross
RosCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #8

thanks for all the well wishes and replies. I still can not get out of the mirada without the steps going out and staying out when I turn the battery disconnect on. I shut the door turn off the battery open door the steps come out and I go out and now the steps stay out when I close the door but I want them in..what am I doing wrong? Any Mirada owners that can help it would be appreciated.
shpstw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #9

in answer to the swivel of the drivers seat 180 degrees, you can do this. when you are turning the seat make sure the arm rest closest to the seat is down. also make sure the steering wheel is tilted up. now when you are about to turn it lift the recline lever on the seal and fold it forward while holding it down turn the seat. voila. once done use the lever to pull the seat ahead ( now it will move toward the tv.
mlynds is offline   Reply With Quote