Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2016, 08:05 PM   #1

New Owner Blues

Just purchased (5 days ago) my new 2016 Coachmen Apex 300BHS with 2 slides. The first time I put the large slide out it went ok. On the second try, while stowing the slide, it made a loud snap when almost closed then the one side stopped moving making the slide "twist" in its position. After playing with it we finally got it to close. I am told based on the metal tracks on the outside, that it is a hydraulic slide. Then to top it off, after 3 days of sitting the battery died, nothing was left on. I'm EXTREMELY disappointed in these failures on its first use. Based on the grinding sound it makes when we pushed the edge to close it, I think it's "off track" on the one side. Any ideas on what I might expect the dealer to need to do to fix this? I'm hopeful it will be a quick fix while I wait since my dealer is 95 miles from home.
Grayson70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:10 AM   #2

The slide does sound like an issue that the dealer should fix. As for the battery, did you turn it off at the battery disconnect of just leave it. There are several electrical draws in a trailer that I wasn't aware of but am now.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:16 AM   #3

I know it disappointing but don't get discouraged these things happen it RVing lol. Your battery may have been low from the slide operation and the other draws just did it in. charge it up and remember to hit the disconnect switch when leaving it for some time. Hard to tell how long it will take the dealer to fix the slide hopefully it only jumped the track and did not bend anything
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:20 AM   #4

The slide should be addressed under warranty. A battery will drain even with "everything" off. To conserve the battery and eliminate the drain you should use a disconnect switch or disconnect the negative terminal.

I wouldn't say the battery was a "failure", just a learning curve but the slide is a failure. I would take it back to the dealer and have them look at it under warranty.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:20 PM   #5

Thanks

Thanks everyone!
Grayson70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:17 AM   #6

Sounds like and from looking at a couple of photos of your trailer you may have the Schwintek slide out system which is what I have on our bedroom slide which is electric. Our two lower level opposing slides are hydraulic.

If your slides are the Schwintek system there are a few things that you can try to get things back in sync. One of the more important things to remember on the Schwintek system is that after you retract or extend the slide do not release the button right away. You should hold it for an additional 5 to 6 seconds to allow the control memory to record the slide position.

Take a look on the track and see if any signs of the teeth of the rail showing any shaving of material which could indicate that the slide out was not installed square.

Take a look at this link, it's a group of videos posted by Forest River they offer a wealth of information.

Videos by Forest River RV

As for the battery issue, if your trailer does not have a battery disconnect you can pick up a simple blade type at your local Walmart, auto parts store or even on Amazon. It's as easy as removing your negative battery cable, clamp the disconnect in place and then clamp the battery cable on the disconnect.

Good Luck and Happy Camping

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:03 AM   #7

You can also look, online, at the lubricating process for your slide rails and rotating/operating system which should be performed periodically.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote