Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2017, 07:55 PM   #1

Newbie needs help dewinterizing??

So I bought a brand new 2017 Forester 3011ds. When I purchased in December they dewinterized it before leaving. Can someone give me a step by step list to dewintering my RV please? I've googled some lists but would like to know from a Forester perspective.
Westbound40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:27 PM   #2
Dragonship Captain

You've got two DE-winterizing in there.... is one (the dealership) a winterizing and you're looking for a de-winterizing?

If so, I assume they used anti freeze and there's evidence of that in toilets etc?
Old 01-23-2017, 01:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound40 View Post
So I bought a brand new 2017 Forester 3011ds. When I purchased in December they dewinterized it before leaving. Can someone give me a step by step list to dewintering my RV please? I've googled some lists but would like to know from a Forester perspective.

So... if I understand correctly, the dealer dewinterized it so it was good for immediate use, but you want a list on how to dewinterize?

That is like someone taking the bed sheets off your bed, then asking us for a list on how to take off the sheets even tho they are already off.

I'm confuzzled.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurek View Post
So... if I understand correctly, the dealer dewinterized it so it was good for immediate use, but you want a list on how to dewinterize?

That is like someone taking the bed sheets off your bed, then asking us for a list on how to take off the sheets even tho they are already off.

I'm confuzzled.
I think he didn't get to see what valves and such has to be turned back to the normal operation after de winterizing, I have like 4 or 5 that I need to turn after I flush out the pink stuff and start to use the water system and hot water heater...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:15 AM   #5

My bad. I meant that the dealer winterized it now I would like to use it so I need to dewinterize.
Westbound40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:23 AM   #6

In general terms: Put the hot water heater drain plug back in, close the hot water heater bypass and open the cold and hot valves (reverse the current valve positions on the heater, center closed and top and bottom open. Put the low point drain plugs back in (S/B two of them) Put the whole house filter back in and put the glass back on. Close all the taps. Put some water in the tank or hook up to city water pressure connection.

Turn on the pump and run the taps (sink, shower, toilet, etc) until the antifreeze color clears...and you are done.

In general that is it. Now they might have already put the heater plug back in as well as the low point drain plugs and the filter cover (if present) after winterizing.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:42 AM   #7

You need to Purge 2 systems Fresh and City,before you turn water heater valves! otherwise Pink will flow into your heater! Some dealers turn everything back to "Ready to Use" and Some leave your water system in "Winterized Position" you Need to know which position Yours was Placed in! Youroo!!
Old 01-23-2017, 07:53 PM   #8

If the water heater drain plug is in, insure it is snug. After all pink anti-freeze is purged from your system, close bypass valve, open supply valves. Make sure bottom drains are installed. Connect city water hose and turn on the hot water spigot and wait for hot water tank to fill up. Check for water in the hot water tank by opening the pressure relief valve and you should have water spray out of the valve. It is now safe to turn on the hot water heater.
Ray B. 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:01 PM   #9

Make sure all the pink stuff is out of your system before you close the bypass valves to the water heater, then flush it out good before you put the plug back. If you don't you are going to have stinky water!!!!!!
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:58 PM   #10

I encountered that similar issue recently (Solera)and was confused by the three plumbing valves. They are not labeled on/off and they are not labeled for which system they are turning on/off. I had to call an RV service tech and all he could tell me was counterclockwise ON and clockwise OFF. I was afraid of an error and blowing the hot water heater or the water pump if they were in the wrong position.
I had my unit winterized for the season. I then took it in for some paint/body work@ an RV shop. The owner( hard to believe, didn't know what winterization was and I explained to him that I had been winterized.)
After I picked it up to head back home to the Sierra Nevada mtns. I stopped in the Mohave Desert that night and happened to glance at my control panel and was shocked to see that their techs had filled up the freshwater tank without telling me. It was 30 degrees outside, but I knew it was going to be 9 degrees that night at home if I waited to drain the tanks. I ended up dumping my fresh water & gray tanks in the desert right there & fortunately I had antifreeze with me. I shudder to think of the disaster it would have been if I hadn't checked my tanks!!
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, winter