Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2008, 09:23 PM   #1

Newbie with LOTS of questions

Ok, first off I just bout a new to us 2004 38 Salem FBRB. We just cleaned it (disinfected as it was clean!) and are putting it on our permanent site. Questions: To vacuum out the overhead vents with leaves or whatever blew in them.... how do I take them off from the inside? Also, I don't believe my fridge works off of the gas because it is a full size fridge, but I know the water heater is gas and electric. So if I do not have my electrical set up yet, do I need a generator for lights and rest of the power? What does the gas actually run, the stove and water heater? Is the furnace and a/c just electric powered? What should I get for a generator? Some of these are probably novice questions buy any response would be great!
Thanks!
thisad77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
Campfire Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisad77 View Post
Ok, first off I just bout a new to us 2004 38 Salem FBRB. We just cleaned it (disinfected as it was clean!) and are putting it on our permanent site. Questions: To vacuum out the overhead vents with leaves or whatever blew in them.... how do I take them off from the inside?
The interior bezel must be removed. There are 4 screws holding it in. The vent crank also has to come off.

Also, I don't believe my fridge works off of the gas because it is a full size fridge, but I know the water heater is gas and electric.
Your fridge will work off of gas. First be aware that it uses so little propane that it can take a while to bleed the air out of the lines. Most folks will light the stove to expedite the process. The electronics of the fridge also need 12 volts to work. If your not plugged in you need to have a battery in good condition hooked up. A battery will run down within a week even if you don't use any lights.

So if I do not have my electrical set up yet, do I need a generator for lights and rest of the power? What does the gas actually run, the stove and water heater? Is the furnace and a/c just electric powered? What should I get for a generator? Some of these are probably novice questions buy any response would be great!
The A/C requires 110 volt to run. The fan in the furnace require 12 volts. The water heater can run on propane but also needs 12v for the electronics. I'll let others chime in about the generator thing. You will get many opinions on that subject.
Thanks!

AVid
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:58 AM   #3

Question about the fridge? you say it is a full size, do you mean like the one in your house or what is called a park model fridge? If so then the fridge well not operate on propane it needs 115 volts to operate. A standard fridge has a compressor in it and fans. A standard full size fridge has it's own refridgerant in them either R-22 or R-134a. The type of fridge that is used in RV's are what is called an absorption system, they use R-717 which is ammonia, no compressors or fans used for this type of system. The absorption system can operate on either propane or electric. If you turn on the fridge and you hear a fan come on then shortly there after the compressor starts that is an indicator that the fridge is a standard house model. A standard RV absorption fridge are quite and take a long time to cool down, temp are pre set and can not be changed. The only control you have is the damper control located in the fridge section for air flow from the freezer.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #4

Look above the door on your fridge. Most of the dometics will have an on/off switch and a gas/electric/automatic switch. If it doesn't have the second switch, you may well have a regular refrigerator. Another thing would be to look and see if you have a vent grill directly behing your fridge. If so, it's gas/electric. And remember, we all were newbies to start with. Never be afraid to ask any question. We've been camping for awhile and I still learn things from newbie questions.

Good luck

Steve
Cedar Creek Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Let us know what brand fridge you have for the correct answer. It may not be gas at all.

Your water heater is most likely gas/elec...but it also depends on model. If you have wall switches for it, it is probably both. There will be a circuit breaker for it in the panel.
Try to locate the thing and look at it. You may be able to tell that way. You can at least look up the model number and find out. Many manufacturers have owner manuals online.

A/C is always electric only.

Furnaces are usually gas/elec. (12 volt...so they run from your RV battery)

Your electrical outlets will only work when your trailer is plugged into household current/generator. (unless you have a power invertor added on)

Your lights work off 12 volt. (RV battery)
If you have any slideouts...they are generally 12 volt as well.

Your RV battery will charge when the trailer is plugged in as well.
Hope this helps.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote