Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #1

No AC from Onan Generator

Howdy,

We just purchased a new Wildwood 32SRV and although we were pretty thorough during the PDI, the service guy at the dealership just started the generator momentarily because he said there was very little gas in it. Now after getting it home I decided to run the generator to make sure everything works ok. I unplugged from shore power and started the generator. Runs great and no errors on display but no power. The A/C won't turn on and neither will the microwave. I turned all the breakers off and on, but still nothing. I looked in the Onan manual and it said to check the main breaker on the generator. I turned it off and back on and still no power. Any ideas?
Old 07-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #2

Did you plug the generator into the coach?
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #3

First of all what size a generator is it... I think it has to be around 3500 or higher to run your AC or Microwave. I have a 2000 and it wont run my AC or Microwave..
STATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #4

Problem solved! I'm a newbie and the tech never mentioned that I had to plug the shore power cord into the outlet inside the shore power cord compartment....Duh! Oh well, I'm learning. Thanks for the tip 2Susan.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #5

Woo Hoo!! I'm happy to help

We're new to this too - and there is a ton of stuff they don't tell you. I'm glad for this forum and the opportunity to pick the brains of people who have figured out the answers.

We have been plugging the cord in as matter of routine so in case we need to switch on the generator it's ready to go. I'm happy not to see cord ends flopping around and nothing can accidently fall against the outlet.

Does someone else know of a reason why leaving it plugged in while traveling is not a good idea?

(big happy dance here - I finally know the answer to something instead of asking all the questions!)
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
We have been plugging the cord in as matter of routine so in case we need to switch on the generator it's ready to go. I'm happy not to see cord ends flopping around and nothing can accidently fall against the outlet.

Does someone else know of a reason why leaving it plugged in while traveling is not a good idea?

(big happy dance here - I finally know the answer to something instead of asking all the questions!)
There is no problem with leaving it plugged in other than don't turn on the AC and then try to start the generator. It should run for a few moments before putting a load on it.
I wasn't aware that some Georgetowns had the plug inside the compartment for the generator. I just assumed, oh no there's that word, that they all had the transfer switch in them. What size generator do you have? Is the plug end for 30 or 50 amps, I'm just courious.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
We're new to this too - and there is a ton of stuff they don't tell you. I'm glad for this forum and the opportunity to pick the brains of people who have figured out the answers.

This forum has helped me out a lot. I didn't have a clue about RVs and am glad I found this site and started reading and learning before we bought our 5th wheel. I think your idea of leaving it shore power cord plugged in is a great idea.