Old 06-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #11

Thanks for all of the assistance. I finally had time (and help) to climb under the trailer while getting brakes pressed etc. Now, I am more confused about some things and knowledgeable about others...

Here is what I found:

When the truck is not running I have these voltages at the plug at the rear of the truck:
2 Blue 4.52 - trailer brake
3 Brown 11.73 - running lights
4 Black 11.73 - 12v power
5 Yellow .07 - Lt turn & brake
6 Green .07 - Rt turn & brake
7 Purple .01 - Back up lights

Then I attached the plug from my trailer and engaged the "emergency" stop button on the brake controller. I climbed under the trailer and opened the junction and tested the wires from there. Here is what I got:

2 Blue 0.00 - Brake controller (NOT GOOD)
3 Brown 0.22 - running lights (they were all on though)
4 Black 13.38
5 Yellow 0.01 - nothing connected to it from the trailer
6 Green 12.96

After I saw that #2 was at 0.00, I re-tested the voltage at the receptacle at the back of my truck with the "emergency" button depressed on the brake controller. It read the same as before, 4.5... I don't know if the brake controller functions when the plug is disconnected though. I know the "connection" light on the controller goes out so it probably doesn't have any effect without the plug inserted.

I am a litle concerned about the truck wiring because I remembered that a chipmunk had chewed a lot of wires in my fuse box last summer. A mechanic fixed everything and I haven't had any problems. I can't remember if we pulled the trailer since then or not. Maybe something got missed...

Hopefully, someone can make sense of my numbers and give me some ideas. I find it hard to believe that only the blue wire in that big package of wires is bad. Maybe it is though...

I also determined my "break-away" switch is junk! The contacts were bad before. I cleaned them up and got it working. Then I replaced the plastic plug. When I tested voltages later the plastic plug would NOT come out. It broke and now I have to replace the switch....

Thanks for any help!

cbenslay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #12

Any ideas?

I am wondering if the voltage on the #2 wire at the back of the truck should change when the button is pressed on the brake controller. I have an "emergency" button that you can depress to help if the trailer begins to sway. The voltage never moves from about 4.3 volts...

I really need to determine if it is the trucks wiring or my trailers. I am leaning toward the truck now.

Thanks,
Chuck

Old 07-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #13

I have a mechanic that is going to look at the wiring issues from the Chipmunk. However, he is unfamiliar with brake controllers and their output to the trailer connection.

Does anyone know if the voltage on the #2 wire should change when the brake controller is in use?

Thanks yet again
Chuck