Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #1

No lights or power when not plugged in

I have a 2006 Salem 27 with a slide out. When plugged into 110 everything works fine. When unplugged nothing works on battery power except the slide out. I have looked for a switch and loose wires. but found nothing. Does anyone have an idea what to do with this?
spaceghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What do you expect to work? You will not have microwave, or AC, or anything else that runs on 120 Volts AC, unless someone has put an inverter in the camper. The only thing that normally works in most without shore power is the lights. I am assuming your battery is food since your slides work.

Not trying to make anyone feel dumb, but how long have you had the trailer, is this a new problem? Does the trailer have a battery cutoff switch? Most of the times, these don't kill the power to slides. Also check the 12 volt fuses in the fuse panel, all of them, Should be one MAIN one somewhere.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:54 PM   #3

Hi Spaceghost, welcome to the forum,

We would need a little more information from you. Is this a new trailer or have you had it for a long time? Has the 12volt system (lights, water pump, furnace, etc.) worked in the past? I am not too familiar with the Salem but it sounds like a main disconnect is off or a breaker or main fuse for the 12 volt side is tripped or blown. On some of the TTs it is my understanding that there is a main breaker on the tongue somewhere, maybe someone here will be along shortly that knows more about your model.

The slides should be on their own breaker so it would stand to reason they would still work if the lights don't.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:27 AM   #4

Hi spaceghost.
What NWJeeper is referring to is a relay/junction block that is mounted under the tongue area towards the front- it's actually under the structure of the camper, but very close to the front. You'll have to lay under the unit to locate it. The battery wire- I believe the white one goes directly to a terminal on this piece, and some have a small reset button on them. Mine was corroded (rust) so badly it lost electrical connectivity after only 3 months from new! On my unit, everything that was supposed to worked while plugged into my truck 7 pin towing jack, but once unplugged, only the power tongue jack and the slides operated. Nothing else! Good luck, Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:47 AM   #5

Smile Thanks for your responses

I looked for a breaker or switch coming from the battery. There is a junction box with wires connecting that lead into the camper but no fuse or switch. I checked all breakers in the converter box and 40 amp fuses. all were good. I have not checked the smaller fuses but, If the fuses were blown I am assuming that the 12 volt lights would not work even on shore power.

I am thinking it is the converter box. but the battery has maintained enough charge to run the slide. ??? The slide does not work on just shore power. The battery did die on the slide a few weeks ago, After we had been plugged into shore power for a month. I charged the battery back then and it may be holding enough charge for the slide.

I read another thread about 12 volt issues and will follow a suggestion of checking power going into the battery when plugged in.

Again thanks for your help.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #6

I have a 2003 Flagstaff 23 FBS with a similar problem ... on battery power my slide out works ... radio works .... ceiling lights work however the slide out lights, monitor panel and bathroom fan do not work ... I will check the junction box tomorrow ... any other suggestions
JERRY&LINDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:34 AM   #7

I found the problem on my 27 foot salem. I called Pauls mobil rv service out of Cranston RI. He found a battery cut off switch behind a panel under the the refrigerator. Your Flagstaff sounds like a fuse blown.
Thanks everyone
Harry
Old 08-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #8

Yes I have a 20 AMP fuse that is blown. Can't find the bad ground. I replaced the circuit breaker between the battery and electrical box under the trailer ... blew another ... Noticed one red wire goes to the electrical box ...another red wire goes toward the back of the trailer ... will have to crawl under the trailer and inspect every inch of the wire ... I have a problem with squirrels chewing on my car's spark plug wires ... maybe I will find the problem Have a great day
JERRY&LINDA is offline   Reply With Quote