Old 05-05-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
No power

I have 07 surveyor and when I plug it into the house outlet I don't have any power in the trailer. Any body know what the problem could be

Mikeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:35 AM   #2
no power

I am new at this but here goes.. try the power from the house(make sure that its working properly).Circuit breakers inside the trailer .. are they tripped ??, any corrision on your adapter plug ? Hope that helps..

dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:58 AM   #3
Alot of times if you are plugging into a house outlet that is a GFI outlet or tied to one the GFI will trip. Start by plugging into house, check the end of cord for elect. Then make sure trailer main breaker is off. Plug into trailer power cord, turn main breaker on. If you do not have power go back and check to see if you have power at cords end. If the answer is yes I would say your trouble is in the trailers breaker box. You will have to make sure all is well at the breaker pannel.
3500 Ram 5.9l diesel
08 35 RLT Cardinal
5th Airborne Pin Box
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou
OK, Some things I have learned about Shore Power:

1) NEVER hook up "hot". Arcing at the socket will occur (and is unavoidable be cause the power converter will always try to draw several amps immediately to charge the battery. This burns the tips on the shore power cord and burns the blades on the socket you plug into. Eventually, the resistance in the burned blades and tips will start causing breaker trips in the house or power pedestal.

2) NEVER plug a shore power cord into a GFCI controlled outlet. Most newer campers have GFCI circuits that control all outlets in the camper. This includes the outlets your water heater and Fridge are plugged into. Double GFCI protection makes them unstable and can trip off for no apparent reason. Some off the GFCI control outlets are hard to find. Like the one that controls the Fridge ().

3) 30 AMP extension cords drop voltage. There are places I camp that require a 150 foot run (1 100 foot extension cord and 1 25 foot extension cord and the 30 foot shore power cord). I use a Franks Auto Transformer to kick the voltage back up to 110-120, but at the expense of AMPS. That means no AC if I need much of any other power. The AC must be off to use the microwave for example as it will trip a 30 amp breaker. On a long run like that, even a 20 amp breaker means no microwave, AC, or DW's hair curler.

4) DO NOT count on the campground's power being "good." The absolute worst power at the pedestal, in my limited travels, was at a very expensive RV resort in Miami (104 volts AC) it was a hot day and everyone had their air on. My voltage dropped below 100 every time the AC cycled.
I was lucky I had the Franks unit in the camper as I was not planning on using the extension cords (the reason I bought it). I have used it at two KOAs and a Good Sam park, since. I always check voltage and polarity before I hook up now. I keep the tester and a 30 amp adapter with the shore power cord.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote