Old 08-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #1

Onan Error Code 4 on Marquis Gold 5500, Solved!

I bought this 2005 Georgetown 342 in early July, and the generator worked flawlessly for two 8-hour days while moving stuff from the oldie to the newer. The dealer was kind enough to let me keep the old one at home, and park side-by-side to transfer all of my junk.

It started getting Code 4 errors on my second outing, but would sometimes start and run fine (mostly when I was troubleshooting and didn't need it!).

Turned out to be the slip-ring brushes. The top brush was only 3/8" long, and, apparently, would make contact occasionally, enough to keep running. When I measured resistance from one contact to the other on the brush holder this A.M., I got a wiiiide open! Should be about 30, or less, ohms. The slip-ring looks like s**t, but I've heard that a piece of Scotch Pad glued to a stick will clean it up.

Anyhoo, I found that there is a wealth of info on the net for troubleshooting this system, and that, if you can read, you can save a bundle of bux, have fun, and get the reward of AC when you Dry Camp at Lake Isabella next week. Gonna be hottt.

Oh; my free 30-day warranty has expired, and I'd have to pay $100 co-pay to replace a $30 part, plus have to use more time and gas than the problem took to troubleshoot.

Thanks to the folks who posted the Onan manual, as well as to Flightsystems.com for another view on troubleshooting Onans!

BTW: The Flight Systems tool wouldn't work on the 5500, but again, a piece of Scotch Brite pad glued to the end of a dowel will do fine.

Already cleaned it up to shiny, and waiting for the new brush block.

1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #2

The brushes got here a couple of hours ago. I did a little more cleaning and stuck them in. Presto! 29.5-ohms across the terminals.

Hit the button, and all is beautiful. Gotta love it!

1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Glad to hear everything worked out. Thanks for sharing the info.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags