Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #1

One More Time for Brake Controller Issues

I currently have a Reese controler. Pulling a SV291 with a 01 Chev Z71. TT is 30 ft w/toungue. Weight in the 5,500 range. Have only had the TT and truck since May of 08. TT is an 09 model. With the Reese brake controller it seems that I can only control the brakes on the TT during full stops from cruising speed. Once I get into a town, at every stop light, the TT wants to jerk and lock. I have the controller adjusted to the lowest possible delay setting. I guess what I am asking is there a brake controller out there that modulates with the pressure I apply to my truck brakes. Hope this is not sounding too vague. I am looking for brakes that equal my truck brake pedal pressure.
Bill U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:44 PM   #2

Go to etrailer.com and read up on the difference between Timed Delayed Brake Controller and Proportional brake Controllers.I use a Tekonsha Voyager 9030. It is a proportional controller which allows the trailer to stop at the same rate as the tow vehicle. Hope this helps
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:22 AM   #3

Try lowering the gain control if it has one which will smooth out your brakes
dredger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill U View Post
I guess what I am asking is there a brake controller out there that modulates with the pressure I apply to my truck brakes. I am looking for brakes that equal my truck brake pedal pressure.
Yes, there are systems that use a cable to sense pedal motion and systems that tap into your hydraulic brake system (though banned by most mfg's) to sense pressure.

A very reliable and accurate system uses accelerometers to sense your slow down and applies the RV brakes in proportion to that. The Hensley Tru-Control, Tekonsha Prodigy & P3 are among the best out there and garner lots of prasie for their owners. I use the prodigy and am extremely happy with it's performance.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #5

I have an older Tekonsha unit, it came with the truck, and it acts similar to what you are describing, it drives me crazy! I just order a Tekonsha P3, and from everything that I have read these work great and are very easy to setup. You may want to consider getting one of these. I paid $120 shipped.
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* AFE stage2 air intake kit
* Hypertech III, set on stage1
* back-up camera
* Putnam XDR class V hitch receiver
* Airlift air bags
2004 EZGO custom electric golf cart
rafcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I have zero braking issues with my Prodigy. For $100 you can replace your current unit. Is it an older unit? Might just be time to retire it.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #7

I had the same problem but the left side of the camper brakes were locking up no matter how the controller was set, well come to find out the brakes were never adjusted from the factory. Forestriver replaced the brakes under warrenty which is rare according to the dealer. As far as jerking go's, I notice It when I am in slow moving and start and stop traffic. It is more noticeable then that's because the shoes and drums are getting hot and have had no time to cool down. The way I make a smooth slow down or stop in stop and go traffic is that I use the brake controller manually.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #8

What I use

As I am new to this whole electric trailer brake thing, I did a little research and evetually decided to get the Tekonsha Prodigy controller. I honestly did not know what to expect, but I am sure pleased with the way it operates. I have it set to slightly lead the truck's brakes, no trailer lock-up, no unusual pulling, just a nice smooth stop.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, brakes