Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 08:10 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
I would install the TV with the appropriate length screw, then with a couple of very short screws I would caulk the hole and run them in from the outside, make sure to use a screw with a rubber washer under the head, a little touch up paint and call it a day. Only the thousands of people that read this thread will ever know, it's not like any one will tell.
+1
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:56 PM   #42

Remove drill bit. Caulk entire molding. Remove upper screw. Run #10 through bolt decorative button, black or dark tan. Find at ace or online.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #43

Tell DH not to feel bad. Even us experienced handy men do dumb stuff sometimes. I had some DA throw a beer bottle at my trailer and tore the thin metal skin. I filled it with silicone caulk and bought a small metal cover from the plumbing dept. at Lowes. Looks OE and its been 5 years with no issues. I agree with those that say a body repair place can't match fade. Good luck and please don't get on hubby's case to much. I know from personal experience that he feels bad enough.
Tireguy397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Ok I let DH try to redeem himself today....under direct supervision. He put shorter screws in the tv bracket holder. He then put a screw in from the outside with clear silicone caulk in the hole and around the screw. It turned out better than I thought it would. I think we will go with fix and forget.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!
I Hate to admit this, but I did the same thing adding shelves to the Wardrobe making it into a pantry.

It did me make me ill. I backed the screws out and filled the holes with silicone from both sides, but your fix looks alot better.

Try not to be so hard on DH, i know from experience how bad he feels
Old 07-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #45

My wife always wonders why it takes me awhile to do stuff for the trailer. I tell her it's because I try to think of ways I can screw it up then do my best to eliminate the possibility
Then I go do the job

Sent from my rock and chisel
doneuald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #46

We all make mistakes and learn from them
" to be old and wise we must first be young and foolish"

Sent from my rock and chisel
doneuald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:51 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
So DH decided to mount the tv on the wall in the 5ers bedroom. He used a stud finder to help him find the backing plate. Problem is he used too long of screws and they went all the way through the trailer wall.
I did something equally dumb. While mounting shelving in my wardrobe I carefully measured the length of the screw anchors. It was good. I also checked after installing one screw that I hadn't measured as carefully. I didn't consider that the screw was much longer than the anchor.

Unfortunately, it was dark and I didn't notice that it had dimpled the fiberglass, so I continued with the rest. Some of the screws were long enough to crack the gel coat slightly, but none fully punctured it.

When I saw it the next morning in better light I was really mad at myself. Now I need to find a body shop or maybe a boat shop that can fix it but I doubt they can match the color.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:17 PM   #48

If your dealer is a good one, find out who they use for their body work. It is amazining what a good body shop can do and how well they can match colors.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications