Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2015, 07:43 AM   #1

Opening slides in the winter

I am apprehensive to open my slide with toppers with the cold temps we are having. I am concerned about the topper material cracking as its unrolled. Thoughts?
Old 02-14-2015, 12:31 AM   #2
WFD

Do you really have a need to open them? I wouldn't unless absolutely necessary. Problem is you could have snow build up or snow/ice that has built up and may break something as you go to extend it.
Also, and probably should have asked this first...how cold are we talking?
Old 02-14-2015, 01:33 AM   #3
Always Learning

Not answering your actual concern- but my recent experience back in January was I had my slides (with toppers) out at home. A bit of snow and ice formed on top and I had to get on a ladder to clear the topper off before it would close properly. I didn't at first and I'm dang lucky the falling ice didn't break something! The snow and remaining ice still caused issues.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:01 AM   #4

sheet of ice is the danger, last year had a 3 ft x 6 ft sheet of ice 2 inches thick in MS...
pushed it off with a broom and it came off whole...cover on back of truck had sheet of ice 6 x 8 ft 2 inches thick....no damage and all working well....as of today....but is very dangerous if was to fall on something or someone....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmdfm View Post
I am apprehensive to open my slide with toppers with the cold temps we are having. I am concerned about the topper material cracking as its unrolled. Thoughts?
To answer your question your material will be fine, the only thing as others have pointed out is the breaking of the ice rolling it in. It has happened to me twice. After the first time I learned to break it up first. Nothing happen to the material it made for tough weather. I extend mine all the time at home below freezing temps.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:35 AM   #6

The need to open the slide is to ready the camper for a upcoming trip. Mass to FLA. We are unable to open the frig and pantry cabinets with the slide closed. Yesterday was my one shot at warm weather to do it. I let it soak in the afternoon sun and it opened without any know issues. This am it is -11. I will need to close it at some point today because we are due 12 to 16 inches of snow. Florida cant come quick enough.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmdfm View Post
The need to open the slide is to ready the camper for a upcoming trip. Mass to FLA. We are unable to open the frig and pantry cabinets with the slide closed. Yesterday was my one shot at warm weather to do it. I let it soak in the afternoon sun and it opened without any know issues. This am it is -11. I will need to close it at some point today because we are due 12 to 16 inches of snow. Florida cant come quick enough.
Your material will be fine, just roll it in when you want. Have fun in the sunshine of Florida, You probably won't see warm weather until you hit Southern Georgia.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, winter, slide out